Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CFO Birthday Brisket

Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife's b-day is here and we had a small party yesterday. She has but 2 requests for her birthday... brisket and cheesecake. I am more than willing to prepare both. :) Plus, you know, you got to have beans and slaw. :)

I started Friday by making the cheesecake. I didn't take any prep photos because its like cream cheese and eggs... we have seen them before. :) Here is a photo of the cheesecake Saturday morning.
2011-05-21%20Cheesecake%2001.jpg

We are sort of cheesecake purists in that we don't need no stinking fruit! :lol:

After the cake was made it was time to rub the brisket.
2011-05-21%20Brisket%2001.jpg

I tried turbinado sugar this time instead of brown and it was a good change. I was inspired by the Dizzy Pig rubs that I have tried-- I like the Tsunami Spin and Shaking the Tree.

I got a whole brisket from a local butcher-- about 16lbs. Sometime in the past on another forum someone had posted about cutting into the flat and folding it under the point to protect it during the long cook. I tried it then and the results were good. I was a little concerned about the edge of the flat hanging over the platesetter and getting a little charred. Then I thought lets fold it under again... so I did... I may never do a whole brisket any other way. It cooked well... the flat was not dry and the point was done.

Here is the rubbed and rested brisket...
2011-05-21%20Brisket%2006.jpg

2011-05-21%20Brisket%2007.jpg

I put it on the egg at 225 about 7 AM. This is about 1 PM and we are up to about 160.
2011-05-21%20Brisket%2008.jpg

I foiled it at 170 & pulled it when it got to 200... it probed like butter. That was about 5PM which was perfect for a 2 hour rest in the cooler. It also gave me time to put the beans on the egg.

Folks where hungry and I was busy so there isn't a lot of photos from here. I did manage to get one of the plate...
2011-05-21%20Brisket%2010.jpg

2011-05-21%20Brisket%2011.jpg

...and the cheesecake.
2011-05-21%20Cheesecake%2005.jpg

2011-05-21%20Cheesecake%2003.jpg

Everyone had fun and thats the most important thing... a good meal never hurts. :)

P.S. I made the Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce recipe from BBQ USA I believe. I like it a lot on clod and I thought why not on the brisket. It was delicious! I also had about 4 spicy reds in varying degrees of heat-- from habenero to Montgomery Inn. I tried them all, but from now on, I will always make the Alabama White when I make brisket.
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Very nice and thanks for sharing DCE

You are a wise man - cooking what the CFO ordered :)
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    thanks man.....I'm hungry now.

All that looks GREAT. :laugh:
  • Great pics, everything looks great. I think they usually use that white BBQ sauce on chicken, but using it on meat is interesting.
    Tell the CFO I wish her a very Happy Birthday!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    That sauce is awesome on hickory smoked chicken. It was the reason I made it the first time. The next time I made a clod I thought I like horseradish sauce on prime rib... why not horseradish bbq sauce on clod. It is very tasty.

Not everyone will like it, but if y'all ever put a little horsey sauce on your arbys or dipped a juicy chunk of prime rib into horseradish sauce it is worth a try.

There is about a gillion White BBQ sauce recipes around. I just put a few big tablespoons of mayo in a bowl, then drizzle about 1/4 as much cider vinegar in, add as much prepared horseradish as you like, a dash or two of cayenne, salt & pepper to taste and stir it together. Takes 5 minutes and the ingredients are probably on the shelf. :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Would you mind emailing me your cheesecake recipe? If so, please email to miketipton@insightbb.com. It looks fantastic!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY