Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asparagus suggestions?

Options
Martini Mark in PTC
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. Does anyone have any cooking suggestions for asparagus? Perhaps steamed in foil or marinated & grilled directly quickly? We're going to have them with a nice pork tenderloin I picked up over the weekend. Thanks!

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,
    Try this one from the Recipes page.[p]HTH
    Ken

[ul][li]Asparagus Bombs[/ul]
  • IndianaJames
    Options
    Quik'n No brain asparagus[p]We like to add asparagus "rafts" tomany of our meat dishes, often as an afterthought when the meat is on the LGE: simply take trimmed asparagus, stick two round toothpicks thru 4 or 5 asparagus spears, about 1" from each end, making a little raft. Bruch with olive oil, season to taste...garlic salt and black pepper? Then just put them on top of your spatchcok, roast, etc about 15 minutes before the meat is done. Usually we fix two rafts per person...easy and quick, little prep time.[p]Jim
  • Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    IndianaJames,
    That sounds quick-n-interesting. . . .

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I did see that recipe & have tried it before. I was just looking for any new ideas. Thanks!

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    asparagus1.jpg
    <p />MM:[p]A fast and easy method of cooking asparagus is to brush with olive oil, season with your favorite rub, and grill direct to the desired doneness. Grill at lower temperatures if you want it “steam grilled” or higher temperatures if you want a little charring.
  • Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Looks great! I would be concerned with them drying out like this. Does this happen? I prefer them a bit chewier rather than mushy. . Rough guess for time cooking direct at probably 300 dome temp?

• djm5x9
    Options
    MM:[p]Yes, 300º to 325º if you want them to have more crunch to them. Raw asparagus snapped and eaten out of the garden is really the best way to taste this vegetable's subtle nutty flavor.[p]For a real treat, see if you can find some purple asparagus. The flavor is more pronounced.
  • myselftokeep
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP, Take Asian Dark Sesame oil 2 tbs and mix with oune tbs. soy sauce. Brush asparagus then salt and pepper to taste. Finally sprinkle with sesame seeds and grill at 325 for 5 minutes a side. Great chinese flavor to go along with the pork.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,[p]brush with olive oil and sprinkle with a little coarse salt. Bake for a few minutes at about 400 or hit them with a little flame.[p]You can also use some rub. Toasted broccoli is also a winner.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,[p]I like it cooked in an asparagus steamer best but it takes quite awhile to cook this way. For quick and easy, I occasionally cut it into 1 - 1½" pieces, cut on a diagonal, and sautee. Very fast and tasty.

• EggMaster
    EggMaster Posts: 37
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,
    Marinate asparagus in Italian dressing for 30-45 minutes. Remove from dressing and sprinkle with your favorite rub. Wrap 5 whole spears with bacon and cook on a raised grid at 325°f until bacon is done. Turning several times to evenly cook the bacon. Fix more than you think you'll need :)

• otis
    otis Posts: 20
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,[p]drizzle with olive oil and put Cavenders seasoning on them.

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP,[p]
    I'd get rid of them. They make the outhouse smell bad..ruinin the entire esperience for me.[p]StumpBaby

• djm5x9
    Options
    StumpBaby:[p]We used to have the same problem in our outhouse . . . Until we installed the electric ceiling fan . . .

• StumpBaby,
    We have grilled (kamado and gas) asparagus for many years. Simplicity and subtlety ALWAYS is best.[p]In a shallow dish:
    a little olive oil
    a bit of balsamic vinegar
    pinch of salt
    cracked pepper
    marinate asparagus for 15-20 minutes, throw on the grill medium temp for 10 minutes, reserve marinade in warming oven, toss asparagus with remaining marinade and serve in warm dish.