Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need meatloaf help

Austin  Egghead
Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having neighbors over for a thank you "for watching the house and getting the mail" supper. Sam loves meatloaf sandwiches, so, I thought I would do a meatloaf on the egg and send them home with the leftovers. My meatloaf recipe is a little "tired" so wondering what others put in their meatloaf.
My cast of characters are 2.0lb 90/10 ground sirloin, 0.5lb andoulle sausage, 1 TX 105 onion, 1 red bell pepper, 1 tomato diced, 2-3 cloves garlic, 1pkg instant oatmeal, tomato sauce 1 egg, 1 egg yolk and seasoned with S&P MRS Dash org, mexican oregano. (I will cook a bite and adjust/add seasoning if needed).
Thinking of wrapping in it bacon and cooking indirect as a free-formed load over drip pan.
Something seems to be missing something :huh: ...can't figure what...Help/ideas welcomed.
Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

Comments

• Joan,

Maybe try a whole new one. I am sure you can't go wrong with either one of these:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/my-favorite-meatloaf/

Either one should turn out great, especially if you egg it.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    I'm a big fan of the one from Lidia Bastianich (www.lidiasitaly.com) with beef, pork, veal, ri otta and fresh mozarella...does great on the Egg!
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    My meatlosf totally depends on what is in the fridge and cabinets. Once I had no crackers or bread crumbs so I used cheeze its crushed up. I usually use an egg and use ketchup and mustard in the meat mixture for flavors, but like I said....I always have a dff't meatloaf. Eggsperiment, I don't think a meatloaf can be too ruined.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I do follow the rule "never serve to company what you haven't already made for yourself." But anyway, here's some thoughts.

The sausage is a good thing, but the beef is rather lean. What little fat there is will render out. Maybe use a fattier grind.

Maybe switch out some of the oatmeal for toasted wheat crumbs. Oats add a bit of smooth mouth-feel, but I don't think the flavor is so great.

Boost the savory quality with a dash of tamari of Wooster.

Oh, just be decadent. Place a row of butter pats over the top just before the end, and let them melt and brown. Even corn mush with enough butter is great.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Thanks, got some ideas and I forgot the Worcestershire sauce :blush:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Joan: Ever consider substituting Italian bread crumbs for the oatmeal, and a few tablespoons of ketchup for the tomato sauce? We are not big green pepper fans, but a meatloaf just doesn't taste right without it, IMO. I only add about a tablespoon of green bell, minced super fine. Wish you the best! I am sure your neighbors will love whatever you cook!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Sam is diabetic, catsup has way too much sugar.
    I am thinking of making my own tomato sauce with 2 large can of whole tomatoes puree add all veggies including 2 carrots for sweetness then cook down to concentrate for flavor. I will substitue white bread soaked in milk for oatmeal.
    I think I am getting closer! Thanks for the help
  • Austin  Egghead
    Thanks, I was hoping your were on line. I would like to copy your basket weave...How many strips of bacon?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I never follow that rule! Even for important dinners like dinners we've donated to charities where I feel I owe it to up the ante since people have paid to attend. I love trying new recipes. With the exception of pulled pork and our fondue dinners, I don't think I've ever made a dish that wasn't new to me for a dinner party. Even if they turn out not so great, most people think they're fabulous anyway. :)
  • Joan,
    Lake Conroe Egger made a melt in your mouth meatloaf (2 very large ones, actually!) that he Egged in Athens!!
    Whloe brisket a nd pork butt ground together - YUM! He is going to post his recipe if you can hold out a week or so....or maybe treat Sam to a second week of meatloaf sandwiches ;)
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Add a can of Rotel tomatoes and green chilis (drained) and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I also agree with switching out the oatmeal for bread crumbs.

Alton Brown has a trick where he includes a finely shredded carrot to the mix. Doesn't change the flavor, but helps keep it moist.

I also include a tablespoon of Raising the Steaks DP rub.

For a glaze, try low carb ketchup mixed with Splenda brown sugar in equal proportions, about 1/4 cup each. I'm also diabetic, and I can't tell the difference in flavor.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I don't really follow a recipe but I use ground chuck or a mixture of chuck and leaner meat. No veal or pork. I use 1 egg for each pound of meat. No breadcrumbs or any breaded stuff at all. Chili sauce, worchestershire sauce, spices and herbs(typically cumin, thyme, marjoram, oregano, parsley but whatever you like and fresh if you have it), a can of consume (sp?), sauteed onions and bell peppers. If I'm lazy or don't have onions, I'll throw in a package of lipton onion soup mix. You can throw in steak sauce or any other sauce you like the taste of. Chopped garlic and basil if it's in season. If you like it spicy, throw in some chili powder. I mix everything up in a big bowl and then add in the ground beef.
  • Austin  Egghead
    I will go for a second treat. Sam makes killer applesauce and he always bring it to the party. Sounds like ya'll had a good time in Athens. Have a save drive home....Been there and just done that drive!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Not sure how many bacon strips. From the pic, it looks like 10-12. I just start the basket weave for the meatloaf pan and when done I place the mix in and fill it up, next pull the ends over as they will be on the bottom. Then chill a few hours and remove from pan and turn over to cook. When I do these I make 2 and freeze one.