Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First tomatoes of the year

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Filly is in NC visiting family so I was bored today. Made some pasta and hung it to dry.

IMG_2197.jpg
IMG_2204.jpg

Then did some babybacks direct on a raised grid with my usual salt, cayenne, and mint.

IMG_2201.jpg

Chopped up some sage, garlic, and one of the first ripe tomatoes from the garden.

IMG_2199.jpg

Heated up some EVOO and tossed the pasta with the goodies, plated up with some sweet corn.

IMG_2207.jpg

The ribs were very good, corn good, and the pasta was amazing! -RP

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    WOW! It all looks AMAZING.Nothin like homemade pasta and fresh,homegrown maters! :)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Looks like you had a very productive day!!!! Nothing better that home (as in your own home) - grown tomatoes. I am patiently waiting on mine to start turning. I go out every morning and every afternoon to check their progress - many blooms,need more tomatoes. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Me too

003-11.jpg

kinda ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SLOandSteady
    SLOandSteady Posts: 210
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what did you sprinkle on the corn?
  • AZRP
    Options
    Be patient grasshopper. -RP
  • AZRP
    Options
    Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. -RP
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Looks great Randy but I have to ask about your growing tomatoes here even though you are a bit cooler then here.

I have not tried any but those that have say the birds get em first. I know you have to plant early and use short maturing ones.

Keep up the good work,
    Bordello
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    While the cats away...the mouse does some a good looking cook. Thanks for the post
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Looks great from here. :P
  • AZRP
    Options
    No problems with the weather Bob, we get fruit all summer. As far as the birds, they are only part of the problem of growing anything in the desert. My garden is a virtual freaking fortress. Completely covered in chicken wire and even hardware cloth under the dirt to keep critters from tunneling in. -RP

IMG_1845.jpg
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :laugh:
    Damn, you have a better built Guantanamo Bay detention camp then our Govt. built. :lol: :silly: :whistle:

Way to go,
    Bordello
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,486
    Options
    :( Fresh tomatoes?!?!?! It snowed here last week! :unsure:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    shoot we have tilled the garden once and it has done nothing but rain 6-7 days a week the last month :( ground is still to cold to put anything in. we have not even bought plants. the Garlic though it up above my knee :) and all 351 cloves came up :woohoo: so if nothing else we will have plenty of garlic to put in pasta and on ribs :) LOL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Salsa, The Raws
    tomatoes.jpg

My wife likes her HB egged longer than I do. Still, with 80/20 and fish sauce (for umami), mighty juicy.
    hamburger.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Nice, Randy. It looks good, made me hungry for fresh pasta. I hope you are well.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Randy,
    That's a great looking meal.My tomatoes are still in the house.It was 31' here Friday morning :(
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I just PLANTED mine yesterday :laugh: We have nice lettuce crop though. We will have to leave the T out of our BLT's for a couple of months :angry:
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Bordello wrote:
    I have not tried any but those that have say the birds get em first.
    Bordello

Dangle some CDs or DVDs from a sting in your garden. The wind will make them move and the sun will cause moving flashes. Birds hate that and will stay out. Works for me. :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Damn, that looks so good. Fresh tomatoes - NO FAIR. Mine aren't even in the ground yet. :(