Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn On The Cob...

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What's your favorite method? I'm cooking some Korean-style short ribs today and corn will be one of the sides. Do you pre-soak? Remove the silk or not? Butter under the husks, perhaps with a DP spice? 25-30 mins., turning halfway? I'm all 'ears'.. TIA~~!!

Comments

• jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    I've done them a few different ways, but always with a presoak.

Recently we have been presoaking, tying the ears near both ends with kitchen twine and then cutting the ends off, before cooking. Once down, remove twine and husks and the silks come off real easy.

Putting your salt and other spices in the presoak, like a brine, adds a nice touch.
  • Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    Options
    I pull the silk as well as the husk then grill on a raised grill at 350 until a few kernels start to brown then I put a mixture of mayo and Dizzy Pig Ragin' River on them instead of butter and leave them on for a few minutes until it melts in. Mix the seasoning and mayo together before you apply.

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    There may be better ways and I haven't grilled any since last year but, I would pull the husk back and remove the silks and cut off the bad spots and check for bugs. Then I will put the husks back and soak in water until it's time to grill. Tim :)
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I've tried different approaches and with corn on the cob I am convinced the simplest of approaches yields the best results. I remove all husks/silks, rub a small amount of extra virgin olive oil, liberally sprinkle with seasoned salt, wrap in foil, and put on the egg. It always turns out great. The seasoned salt really does the trick.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I cut the exposed top silk off and put them on the grill. No soaking, no silk removal, nothing. If you are cooking direct, turn every 5 minutes or so, indirect no need to turn. After 20-30 minutes you can shuck them and the silk will just fall off. -RP
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    This is blasphemy I know but, Microwave corn is great! It is about the only thing I know that is really good out of a microwave other than the popped type.

Wrap husked and buttered ear in plastic wrap and cook 4 mins per ear on high. Unwrap carefully. Not romantic but very good.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I shuck and clean, then wrap in foil with a little butter. Grill until cooked, remove from foil, coat in butter, then back on the grill for only a minute or two. Sprinkle with salt, peppa, & cheap green can parmesean.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I've tried several different ways too; anymore I just remove the husks and silk and throw the ears on the grill, no presoak, remove once there's a little browning. At the table brush with either a) butter and salt, or b) olive that has crushed garlic and Italian seasonings marinating in it.
    I'm hungry for sweet corn now.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Served 1 1/2 inch niblets sprayed with EVOO and seasoned with Eagle Rub along side our Korean Short Ribs at the Athen's Green Eggs and Ham....burgers Fest this weekend!

Used AR and LBGE chugged along around 375 most of the day ;)

Took about 30 minutes with several turns to roast to perfection!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

it is good that way, but nothing like egg'd. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

After reading all the above ways and have tried most I have come to the conclusion I am just to lazy.

Nothing better than corn or baked spuds on the egg.

If I have time I grab a 5 gal bucket and dump the ears in and soak. Corn, silk, husk and all. 15 minutes works well for me.

Then on the egg and cook until done. Now for the good part. Make a corn bar. Put out all different kinds of seasonings and let the guests season to their hearts delight. Mayo, lemon pepper, cayenne, cinnamon/sugar, several of the DP products, butter, salt/pepper it doesn't matter there are not many seasonings that don't work well on corn.

As for cutting silk, husking seasoning and then putting the husk back on, bah, just a waste of time and the results are not any better.

For those using aluminum foil, :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: OMH!!! May as well take a shower with a rain coat on. Heck just use the microwave.

cornpotato.jpg

I usually don't cook corn this long but a while back I tried this to see what the results would be. I wanted to cook corn and spuds at the same time.

This was 400° or 1hr 15 minutes.
    corn1_400.jpg

corn2_400.jpg

It doesn't get any better that egg'd corn.

Like AZRP said the silk comes right off after cooked.

I did have a problem cooking corn on the mini. I could only fit 7 ears on that darn egg. Some of the ears had to stick a little out of the top vent. The cook was good though.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I agree!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Aluminum foil.... no sense in wasting the lump. The recipe sounds good if put on the the cob after the ears are cooked.

GG
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Like AZRP said the silk comes right off after cooked.

:( I said it first. :lol: :silly: :lol:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I MUST concur GG. ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I'll take your word for it.I don't even allow MW popcorn in my house.I pop it Old Style.
  • Hoss
    Options
    :huh: Bugs don't eat much and they add flava. :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Options
    Is there a reason for using foil? :huh: Just askin.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I knew you was talking to me when I read that in my email. I ate a big grasshopper on a Sunday morning back when I was drinking and had a big hang over. I tasted that grasshopper for a week. Never forget that day me and a friend did it showing off to a young buck. ;) :evil:
  • Hoss
    Options
    If you tasted it for a week,you hadn't drank enough! :laugh: ;) (just funnin)! I'm proud you took the right path. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I don't use the microwave for popcorn either.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Not sure why the need to tie or cut off the ends. Confusing to simple minds.

Just cook the ears. They grew with their own wrapping.
    corn1_400.jpg

GG
  • Harley Butts
    Options
    Best method for me is to remove the husks and silk, rub down with butter, salt, and any herbs you might like (I like a little cilantro), wrap the cob in a damp, not wet paper towel, then in aluminum foil (shiney side in), twist the ends and grill on indirect for about 30 minutes, turning every 5-6 minutes.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    Butter, Lime, Red Pepper Flakes, grilled direct out of husk and then rolled quickly in some Mexican white cheese so it has a light dusting of cheese.