Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Steak - T-Rex!

Options
smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a while for me. Trying to convince my 9 year old daughter that steak can be something other than flank steak. No luck. She didn't like the black sear marks and hardly touched the meat.

Seasoned:
001-31.jpg

Seared:
005-32.jpg

Rest:
006-34.jpg

After the temp lowered, I put them on a couple of minutes a side. Used the Thermapen to determine temps. My wife is starting to go medium, and I still like my meat meat pink...

Plate:
011-30.jpg
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Young'uns.What a mystery! :blink: You would not have to convince me.I woulda licked the plate!
  • smbishop
    Options
    I did! I considered one more pic of the bare plate. :laugh:
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    You have better luck that I do. My 7 y.o. is a VERY picky eater and hot dogs are one of the few things he'll eat without being forced to. Made him a hot dog once on the BGE and without tasting it, just seeing the grill marks he wouldn't touch it.

My 4 y.o. is a lot better, getting worse emulating his big bro about being picky thinking it's 'cool'. First time he tasted steak it was MINE with a locally produced rub on it and ate about 3/4's of it. I ended up digging through the fridge and freezer for something to eat after he went to bed because I certainly couldn't discourage him and say no.

Needless to say the 4 y.o. will be attending the PNW Eggfest this year 7 y.o. will not. :laugh:
  • smbishop
    Options
    Too funny, exactly the same at my house. My 4 year old eats anything and loves everything off of the BGE.

They will have to meet at the fest! :)
  • snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    I have only been cooking since I separated from my ex-wife. However since then I have my daughters help with food prep, including cleaning fish, seasoning meat etc. They are almost grown up, 14 and 18 years old now. They eat everything, no limits.
    There was almost an exception, I announced that we were eating steak with roast garlic mashed potatos. Both were panicking (boyfreinds). However I had them prepare all, from roasting the garlic to mashing. They loved it and can even make it by themselves at home. Seems like involving them has really helped. They have even formed a sort of team of friends to help clean and fully prepare huge amounts of shrimp etc for big eats. Andy
  • smbishop
    Options
    Totally agree, I have my daughter help set up the Egg and watch the temps. I need to get her involved in the food prep. She has declared Sundays as BGE Sunday though!