Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prostate Biopsy

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in Off Topic
It looks like the V.A. is going to want a prostate biopsy, they wanted one 2 years ago and I didn't do it. Anyway I have done my reading and at this point I'm only interested in how much pain was involved if you had the Transrectal Biopsy, I believe that is the procedure they use.

I'll decide about the rest if I have it done, not sure yet.

Thanks for any info,
Bordello

Transrectal Biopsy for Prostate Cancer

The transrectal biopsy is a prostate biopsy which extracts core samples of prostatic tissue through the rectum. The ultrasound probe and the biopsy needle are inserted into the rectum. Patients usually have option of general anesthesia, though many opt for local anesthesia through an analgesic surgical jelly and mild sedative. The purpose of the biopsy is to quickly and efficiently extract prostatic tissue to be examined by a pathologist for prostate cancer.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I'm not going to lie to you, podnah. It hurts like a son of a ****. I had 12 core samples taken ... I think I was given some local anesthetic, but still, it was very unpleasant. I remember whining to the doctor "are you done yet?" and his answer was "no, 9 more to go".

Now, do it anyway. Pain only lasts a short time. They found cancer in my prostate and took it out. That was 11 years ago, and I have been cancer free ever since.

Good luck to you, my friend.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Have a friend who just passed and he kept putting off the biopsy tests. 3 1/2 years ago he finally had the tests done and they immediatelly operated on him. Did not get it all and got an infection. 10 operations and 3 1/2 years later he passed, but had he done the exploratory tests in the beginning??? Best of luck on your search.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I've had the procedure twice. It is uncomfortable but not the end of the world......funny comparison given the date. Just need to relax. Sounds like a cap gun going off with a little pinch.

The only real post procedure issue is passing a blood clot when urinating.....that can be a little painful but it's over before you realize what is happening.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback, I've read things as you have stated and others that have had very little pain. Do you know if they gave you a local going in to the first???Some did not do that in the past.

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks Richard,
    To early to tell what I will do but will keep y'all informed.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks tjv,I should have asked in my post if any or all of you had the lidociane injection before the biopsy was taken?

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I would suggest the anxiety thinking about the procedure is much worse than the procedure. It's a reasonably quick procedure too. Don't remember if I got the lidocaine. Do yourself a favor, get the procedure, spending days, weeks, months not knowing your health condition is much worse than the 15 minutes of minor discomfort during the procedure. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, after all my
    reading there are a lot of us chickens out there. :(

I will give in some thought.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Bob, :angry: you get in there and get your skinny butt up in that table and let them pinch a bit off it!! this is not anything to mess with and they do not ask to do this for their fun. My dad had it done years ago and ended up having to have his prostrate removed. thankfully he had the test done when he did.
    pain? I'll give you pain, have a baby :blink:
    but really all kidding aside do not be silly and do not be afraid. like has been said already it is over fast and you can get on with your life instead of worrying and wondering what is going on down there :kiss:
  • Bordello
    Options
    :laugh:
    Thanks for the input Julie,I won't know till I get a screening on Wednesday. I know they won't one so will see.

Thank again for the thoughts,
    Bordello
    With a skinny butt. :(
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Bordello,
    It's been 11 years, so I don't remember much about the prep. I think they did do some sort of local, but it was ineffective. If given the option, have them knock you out, or have a saddle block.

This is nothing to play around with. Like Richard said, I had a friend who refused to have it done, and he's gone now.

Man up, Bordello. Like Larry The Cable Guy says, "Git 'er done !"

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Whoa doggy, that does not sound fun in the least. And I thought women had it bad. I am feeling so grateful to not be a man right now, I may go in for a pap smear tomorrow just for the fun of it.

Go for the general anesthesia if you can!
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, I will ask about the general
    anesthesia but knowing the V.A. I doubt it. I go Wed. for another digital exam and then they will schedule a biopsy. I will make the appoint as I can always cancell again if I chicken out.

At least I have more questions to ask this time.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Regards,
    Bordello
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Get it done and get on with your life. Or don't get it done and start looking for a plot. I don't even remember the biopsy or the surgery. But I do remember not having to think about it anymore.

Spring "Missing A Few Parts" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Bordello
    Options
    Thanks Leroy,
    Actually the plot does not sound too bad right now but I will see after I talk with them Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Bordllo
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Bob,
    I just saw this post this morning so obviously Wednesday has come and gone. I had this done 9 years ago and that revealed I had a raging cancerous prostate. As others have told you yes it was uncomfortable, but really it didn't take that long and the "shots felt around the world" were over. Go for it and get that step behind you - cauz this is killer lurking in your south 40!

Good luck!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bordello
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    I just got my laptop back from the repair depot so I'm not sure if I answered you from my old computer. Thanks for the info, my PSA was up 2 years ago but not sure how high. They wanted a biopsy but I didn't go.

Then 6 mos. ago it was down to 1 something and now it's 13, so they can't do the biopsy till August 30Th. I have it scheduled but wonder what the PSA will be by then??? LOL

I also have a snapped tendon in my right arm (bicep) along with two tears in the rotator cuff, been waiting over 2 years for them to fix that. Me thinks they are waiting for me to kick off first.

Did you have surgery for your prostate??? If I'm not be too nosy. If so I understand

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    You are not being nosey - you are being smart asking questions. In my case I was given two options and I went with what I thought was best for me - and you'll probably have to make that same decision for yourself. I prefer to send you an email response - just give me a few minutes to compose it - OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Don't forget to post pics.
    No pics, didn't happen
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante