Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to grill whole fish wrapped in banana leaf???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,
couple of weeks back I had whole sea bass wrapped in bannana leaf & grilled to perfection at Malaysian restaurant. I would like to recreate the experience at home using BGE. Has anybody tried this before? I would like to know how long to cook per side? Thanks for your help

Comments

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    sujit chokshi,
    Not long ago I did a boston butt wrapped in bannana leaf and it was great. Just trying to think of some simularity here. I know this method would be considered baking, but IMHO also steam comes into play (which is why I used a cast iron pot w/lid on my pork). Now your going to be cooking it inside your bge oven so not much changes here except some added smoke. I would put it inside a roaster or cast iron pot with a lid and cook it that way. I don't think the time would be much different that baking fish in the oven with any recipe. Maybe bge at 350 and cook 7 min per side and then check?[p]Chet

• crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    Options
    sujit chokshi,
    Look for a cookbook by Reed Hearon call "La Parrilla" (the Mexican Grill). It has several recipes for grilling in banana leaves--including seafood. Plus lots of great rubs and salsas.