Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small/plate setter issue

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We really like using the small instead of the large for everyday meals for the 2 of us. The issue I have is I get the egg up to temp (450-500) put in the plate setter and can't get the temp over 350 no matter how long I wait. Is this common or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Put the platesetter in when you light the egg..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I use my small on almost a daily basis also, and while it doesnt climb in temp quite like a large, I haven't experienced any problems. I have noticed it requires a thorough cleaning more often. Are you making sure the holes are clear in the grate and firebox? Also, it obviously holds less lump, so getting it really hot is easier when loaded all the way up, unlike the Large which can get extra hot on half a load.
  • wkygriller
    I have tried putting it in when I light the egg and that does not seem to help. I have cleaned it out still no luck. When I load it to the top of the fire box with lump it wants to smother the fire. I am using wicked good lump, could that be the issue?
  • Bacchus
    Daisy wheel is off and lower vent wide open I assume.

If you load up lump in a clean egg and start a fire there is no reason it shouldnt go nuclear.

Maybe leave the dome open until the lump is fully engulfed.

I sometimes use a small handheld fan to get the fire going quicker.
  • wkygriller
    I will try the fan!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    when lighting the lump, put the platesetter in legs down. this will raise the disk portion of the platesetter off the fire ring and give more room for air flow on the start up. then when ready to cook, flip it over, legs up. adjust vents accordingly on the flip, probably have to open some.

if you fill into the fire ring with lump, it will help to have the lump burning down in the lump, not on the surface when setting the platesetter for the cook.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    That's not the issue
    As wess said, light it and allow the PS tomcome up to temp with it. Dont fill so much, because if the fire is tight to the underside of the PS you won't get much airflow

With wgc, you don't need to jam it full
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    So a "cold" setter going into a small egg with fully engulfed fire is going to prevent it from reaching high temp?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Won't prevent it
    But a good way to waste time is to toss a cold platestter into an egg that is already at the temp you want. His 400-500 isn't quite "high" in my book

450 SMALL egg, add a cold platesetter, and it's going to take awhile to recover

Especially filled to the brim with lump and the PS effectively capping the fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Hmm, I have never had an issue. Of course I typically use the large for high temp indirect, which would be pizza.
  • wkygriller
    After reading the suggestions I think I may be overloading the lump and also need to start the fire and then put ps in legs down. Once up to temp flip ps and start cooking. Will give it a try. Thanks for all the help! If that doesn't do the trick I will drag out the large for high temp indirect cooks.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    On the small anytime you want to cook over 350 always clean the egg as if if were new, always.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I personally don't do that, and I always use the small for temps over 350° actually only clean out the ash when it takes to long to get above 350...I just stir it down, load it up, and light it...then again..I'm kinda lazy.