Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pizza dough rises?

griff017griff017 Posts: 4
edited 4:11AM in EggHead Forum
I am new to pizza dough and stuff. How many rises do yall let the dough go through?

I have so far been following Peter Reinharts Neapolitan pizza dough recipe from his book American Pie.

Anyways, I make the dough, let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter and then put it in the fridge over night.

When I take it out the next day i take it out and let it sit for two hours.

Then i cut the dough up into several small balls. and make the pizza out of them.

SO finally my question, should i be punching it down after each phase to give it multiple rises (or any phase)?

Thanks in advance
·

Comments

• dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    Pretty sure all the pizza dough recipes I've seen don't involve punching the dough and I think it's cause you want bubbles in the crust.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    I had followed AB's recipe for pizza dough for years, and it really set me back. About six months ago I joined www.pizzamaking.com and learned that pizza dough should never be punched down! Form the dough (wetter than I'd been doing) let it rise in a perfect ball, and then pat it down gently to a disk, slap it, toss it, spin it, and throw it on the peel, dress and bake!

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    Good on ya Botch! thanks for the link :)
    ·
  • griff017griff017 Posts: 4
    awesome.

thanks for all the information!

That is just what i wanted to know.
    ·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    Agree punching down the dough will produce a more dense crust.

So it really depends on what type of pizza you are trying to create.
    ·
  • boston_stokerboston_stoker Posts: 794
    American Pie is a great book.
    ·