Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pizza dough rises?

griff017griff017 Posts: 4
edited 9:42AM in EggHead Forum
I am new to pizza dough and stuff. How many rises do yall let the dough go through?

I have so far been following Peter Reinharts Neapolitan pizza dough recipe from his book American Pie.

Anyways, I make the dough, let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter and then put it in the fridge over night.

When I take it out the next day i take it out and let it sit for two hours.

Then i cut the dough up into several small balls. and make the pizza out of them.

SO finally my question, should i be punching it down after each phase to give it multiple rises (or any phase)?

Thanks in advance

• dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    Pretty sure all the pizza dough recipes I've seen don't involve punching the dough and I think it's cause you want bubbles in the crust.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,648
    I had followed AB's recipe for pizza dough for years, and it really set me back. About six months ago I joined and learned that pizza dough should never be punched down! Form the dough (wetter than I'd been doing) let it rise in a perfect ball, and then pat it down gently to a disk, slap it, toss it, spin it, and throw it on the peel, dress and bake!
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    Good on ya Botch! thanks for the link :)
  • griff017griff017 Posts: 4

thanks for all the information!

That is just what i wanted to know.
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    Agree punching down the dough will produce a more dense crust.

So it really depends on what type of pizza you are trying to create.
  • boston_stokerboston_stoker Posts: 794
    American Pie is a great book.