Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Curing Question

Options
Buckeye Fan
Buckeye Fan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey fellow Egger's, I just started a cure yesterday on about 6 pounds of pork belly for bacon. I used coarse kosher salt, brown sugar, maple syrup and black pepper. I just read about Morton Tender Quick here on the forum. I bought the Tender Quick this morning, should add this to the cure I started yesterday or just leave it as is this time? Does it make a big difference to the cured product?

As always, this is such a great site I have learned a ton about my Egg and made some fine meals on it.

Thanks,

Buckeye

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in for ya...
    I have used Thirdeye's Tenderquick cure which is basically the TQ mixed with brown sugar and a little black pepper. It works very well. Alot of folks use either "Hi Mtn" buckboard cure or a mixture including "Pink Salt". All of these 3 contain nitrites/nitrates as a curing agent.
    I think using salt primarly will work but not sure.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Nitrite physically chNges the texture of the meet and adds a sharpness that salt alone cannot.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buckeye Fan
    Options
    Stike, I have read many of your posts great stuff. I just don't know if I should add it to the cure I started yesterday. If I add it to the Kosher salt I used will it make it too salty? Or does it give the meat a better quality or taste in the end product? What do you think?

Buckeye
  • stike
    Options
    Tenderquick is a premixed cure, like all the himountain cures.
    But TQ is a flavorless base. It's what CURES the meat, but it's added to for flavor (maple, pepper, etc)

It is salt (in large amounts), sugar in large amount, a small amount or nitrite (for curing like you are doing, in the fridge for a week), and a little nitrate for longer dry curing. If you used it all by itself you'd have sweet, salty, cured meat. No maple, etc

Himountain is essentially the same thing, but the added flavors are the difference and don't contribute to the cure. Think of hi mountain like a cake mix. Everything you need in a box.

Problem is, if you add TQ for its nitrite (which is what we are used to in cured bacon) you will be adding extra salt and sugar To the salt and sugar you already included

Better this time to let it ride I suppose. Salt does effect a cure of sorts, it's just a different cure. The meat will firm up (salt draws the water out), and of course it will be salty. It just won't be quite the same as what you may be used to. And you may not even notice it, to be truthful

Best thing to do if you like curing is to skip the prepackaged cures and buy the nitrite in the form of pink salts (called DQ#1, among other things). Then mix it with you own kosher salt, sugars, and flavorants.
  • Buckeye Fan
    Options
    Stike your observations a much appreciated from a fellow Egg Guy

Buckeye
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    strik, where do you get the pink salt?
  • stike
    Options
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    What about just adding the pink salt at this point? It won't cause it to be that much saltier.
  • stike
    Options
    that would be fine. he just doesn't have any