Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite wing recipe?

Options
CaptHowdy
CaptHowdy Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to make some wings tonight since I just found out my wife is workin. I'll have to stop at the store on the way home from work so give me your favorite wing recipe and I'll try one of them tonight. I like spicy :evil:

*this message void in case of rapture*

Comments

• CaptHowdy
    Options
    Oh by the way...thank you in advance. I'm at work and only have a few minutes here and there so this is easier than searching all over the net for a recipe I think will be good.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I like to do mine indirect at 250 dome. I do them for 2-21/2 hrs. after the first hour I turn and rearrange every 20 min. & the last 30 use your favorite sauce.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    pci wrote:
    I like to do mine indirect at 250 dome. I do them for 2-21/2 hrs. after the first hour I turn and rearrange every 20 min. & the last 30 use your favorite sauce.

Sound simple and easy. For the last 30 do you take them off and coat them in sauce and then put them back on for 30?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I must confess to deep frying wings, then covering in Franks Red Hot Thick Wing Sauce-Hot.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    I must confess to deep frying wings, then covering in Franks Red Hot Thick Wing Sauce-Hot.

Me too! But I'd like to try them on my new toy lol....hmmm can you deep fry on the egg too??

I'd love to try some ribs tonight but I don't think I want to be eating at 1130pm or so :laugh:
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I like spic to, I use whatever my favorite commercial cajun style rub is at the time, lots of rub, raised grid direct at 275-300flip ever 20 min or so, just before they are done I pull, crank the egg up to 350ish, shake the wings in a bowl with BBQ sauce, something not to sweet, cattlemans is not bad, Sweet baby rays original maybe, back on the egg for 4-5 min a side for just a little char
    [IMG][/img]DSC00063.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Actually some people do deep fry on their eggs. It is a little risky in my opinion though.
    Fidel does really good wings. He cooks on the Egg, tosses in wing sauce, then puts them back on the egg a few mintes to carmelize/crisp. I think his setup is raised direct.
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    These are coated in Italian bread crumbs, cooked direct in a raised grill at 350 for about 30 minutes. This is kinda like fried wings w/o the grease

396854753.jpg
  • Bacchus
    Options
    Does anything go on prior to the bread crumbs like an egg mixture? They look great.
    I did bonless breasts that way once but with Panko, which turned out really good.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:

Me too! But I'd like to try them on my new toy lol....hmmm can you deep fry on the egg too??

I'd love to try some ribs tonight but I don't think I want to be eating at 1130pm or so :laugh:
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    add turbinado sugar to your favorite rub, (3 parts rub, 1 part turb. sugar or similar) cook high in dome, temp is up to you. I like 350+ dome, quasi direct/indirect set up. first part direct, second part indirect.

the turbinado will start to get gooey right before wings are done, takes about 60-75 minutes depending on wing thickness and cook temp. let them set for 10 minutes before eating.

legsandwings.jpg

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Sriracha sauced wings. I tried this and liked it enough to do it again the very next time I do wings. It is not as hot as it sounds but does have a good bite.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=870420&catid=1
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    My fave - Honey Gold wings, but don't let the name fool ya, they have some good heat!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1067
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    Yes, I use Egg Beaters for the wash prior to coating them. I also mix in Dizzy Pig with the bread crumbs for added flavor. Thanks for the kind words
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    For an off-the-shelf grocery store BBQ sauce, I really like Stubbs'. It comes in Original, Spicy (yum), Sweet, and others. Good stuff!

:P :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    This thread has backfired on me. I thought this would be the easy way and now I can't decide which recipe to make. They all sound good :laugh:
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    CaptHowdy wrote:
    This thread has backfired on me. I thought this would be the easy way and now I can't decide which recipe to make. They all sound good :laugh:

Asking this crown for their favorite wing recipe is kinda like asking a couple hundred guys what they find attractive in a woman! :laugh: :laugh:
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    Austin Smoker wrote:
    CaptHowdy wrote:

Asking this crown for their favorite wing recipe is kinda like asking a couple hundred guys what they find attractive in a woman! :laugh: :laugh:

Yep lol...this wasn't one of my best thought out ideas.
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    I use the direct method posted on the dizzy pig site.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I go stupidly simple:
    1) Heat the egg up to 400, with a direct, raised grid.
    2) Take the frozen wings out of the bag, and scatter them on the grid.
    3) After about 15 minutes, coat the top of the wings with Dizzy Pig raging river rub (RRR).
    4) After another 15 minutes, flip the wings, and toss on more Dizzy Pig RRR.
    5) After 25-30 more minutes (about an hour, total), pull the wings off and enjoy!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Not an Egg Recipe, but still my favorite wings. These are a copy of Hooters wings.

1c AP flour
    1tsp salt
    1/2tsp paprika
    1/2tsp garlic powder
    1/2tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4tsp black pepper

Combine ingredients in a bowl.
    Coat wings in mixture
    Refrigerate for an hour
    Coat chicken with flour mix again
    Deep fry at 375 until they float

Drain and apply hot sauce
    Traditional Host sauce- Equal parts melted butter and Franks hot sauce.
  • CaptHowdy
    Options
    ShedFarm wrote:
    I go stupidly simple:
    1) Heat the egg up to 400, with a direct, raised grid.
    2) Take the frozen wings out of the bag, and scatter them on the grid.
    3) After about 15 minutes, coat the top of the wings with Dizzy Pig raging river rub (RRR).
    4) After another 15 minutes, flip the wings, and toss on more Dizzy Pig RRR.
    5) After 25-30 more minutes (about an hour, total), pull the wings off and enjoy!

Damn wish I had read this before going to store tonight. I ended up just making hamburgers because the only wings the grocery had were frozen and I didn't have time to thaw them. Never thought about just throwing them on frozen. I did get some stuff to make ribs tomorrow and a couple fatties. So all is not lost!
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 17
    Options
    This is a little different than most, but people seem to love it.

Direct grill on the bge with smoke (whatever wood you prefer) at about 400 until you get a little char. About 10 minutes per side.
    While they're grilling warm franks, butter, garlic, honey, and diced hot peppers (which peppers depends on your heat level) in a large deep baking pan/casserole.
    Toss the par-grilled wings in the sauce and bake at 350 for about an hour.
    Remove wings and reserve baking sauce.
    Place wings on sheet pan and broil on high until skin crisps.
    Toss in reserved sauce and enjoy!

I know this sounds like a production, but what you get is the smoke, complexity, and depth of flavor from a slow cooked meat with the char and crispness of a grilled meat. Try it and you'll have a hard time doing them any other way.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

@CaptHowdy;

Next you want ribs and are short on time, try this.

I asked a question on a previous post about dome vs. grill temp. on a direct cook. The purpose was to determine what dome temp. to use for direct cooking of BB's. I decided to try 300 dome with my AR oval grill at the felt line. Before we got the large Egg we would do BB's on a Weber gasser. Although we love low and slow ribs, I needed to come up with a way to do them when I didn't get home from work until 6 PM. Since the wife didn't like to mess with the grill, I couldn't start cooking until I got home and I didn't want to wait until 10 or 11 PM to eat, so I came up with a way to have ribs with a 1 hour cook. We've been doing these for the last 10 years or so, when time was a issue.

I'd have the wife take the ribs out of the fridge an hour before I got home and rub them with Worcestershire and season. Then I would cook for 30 minutes bone side down @ 325, flip and cook meat side down for 10 minutes, flip and add sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, pull and tent with alum. foil for 10-15 minutes.

The following pics are my 1st attempt to do a fast cook on the Egg @300 dome at the felt line.

2 racks cut in half to fit on the oval grill, 1 rack seasoned with Dizzy Dust Coarse and 1 seasoned with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoningimage

After 30 minutes flipped to meat sideimage

After 10 minutes flipped back to bone side and saucedimage

After 20 minutes, pulled and tented for 15 minutesimage

Sliced up and ready to eatimage

What I will do different next time is start the fire in 4 spots, half way between the center of the lump and fire box. On this cook I started the fire in 1 spot, dead center of the lump. This created some hot spots during the 1st 30 minutes of the cook. I may reduce the dome to 275 and cook at the felt line or add the extender to the AR and cook higher in the dome @ 300. If you want BB's and time is an issue, give this a try and post what you think.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.