Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Cut for Pulled Beef

8MWOG
8MWOG Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on making pulled beef for my son's High School grad party. We are planning on 125 guests. I am wondering on what the best cut of meat I should try. I did a test run this weekend and used a Top Sirlion and it tunred out good. Would a Chuck be a better choice? Also, I am planning on making a total of 50lbs of Raw meat...5 10lb roasts. If my calculations are correct I feel this should give us some leftovers. Anyone with experience agree?

Comments

• JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    I have only made it using Chuck. Last time I made it for a crowd, I seriously under-estimated how much people would eat. It tasted so good, they just kept eating. Make more than you think to be safe.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Different cuts will give slightly different yields, but 60% after cooking is a reasonable estimate. So you would have 30 lbs of cooked meat, plus some sauce. My guess is that you would not have much in the way of leftovers.

I always go with chuck, because it has a fair amount of connective tissue and fat, which are the magic ingredients for BBQ, besides the spices and smoke.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    Chuckies
    Seed-Of-Chucky-chucky-21093473-502-353.jpg

I'm thinking he wouldn't make for a very good pulled beef, -or- houseguest!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i usually try to get the eyeroast from a chuck roll, you could do the whole roll, they come in around mid 20 pounders
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Would that be Chuck Roast ?

Temp?
    Thanks.
    Gary
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Hi,

I just threw a close to 4 lb Top Sirloin on:

DSC03627.jpg

I have it at ~270F dome, grid is a few degrees less at the moment.
    What would be a good target internal temp if I intend to pull?

Thanks,

Doug the Bug in Barrie
  • dugdbug
    emok it's been on an hour and 20 now and is 130F internal

DSC03628.jpg

I saw a post that said take it off at 170 and contain with liquid till 205 then let rest for a time so I guess I'm gonna just try that. :)
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Hopefully someone else will chime in but I know at least with pork, sirloin roasts are mostly used for slicing. If you are going for pulled I would think 190 plus but I'm not sure a sirloin will have enough fat to be a traditional pulled beef.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • dugdbug
    Thanks, I probably should have done some research first and not been so whimsical :blush:

At 140 internal my wife made me hack off half a pound to feed the kids. Flavourful but a little tough. Then at 7:30 I had to feed her the left over Mahi Mahi, Pretty yummy regardless

DSC03629.jpg

So for the last hour and a half we appear to be platued at 158*F nothing to do now but see it through. Plenty of cold beer and a hockey game comin on soon :woohoo:
  • dugdbug
    Ok temperature starting to climb again

DSC03630.jpg

For my next trick I'm gonna do something involving cast iron and garden cocktail...
    :lol:
  • dugdbug
    so this is it in cast iron and garden cocktail...

DSC03631.jpg

DSC03632.jpg

Also some basil. My wife thought this hobby would take less time than golf.... :lol: