Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick gasket question

Options
h20egg
h20egg Posts: 168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got tired of my frazzled felt gasket and the egg taking forever to snuff out, so ordered nomex, used the 3M adhesive. On the bottom. My question is, why would you possibly need to place the remainder on the top? One layer of nomex is about what the two of felt was if I recall correctly, it appears to seal just fine, and if I add another layer I'll be adjusting the bands. So, anyone else just use one layer and call it good? Thanks.

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Did you put the nomex in the dryer for a good.. 10 to 15 mins prior to attaching it to the egg? This will pre shrink the nomex a bit so that it won't shrink up on the egg.

I used nomex on both the top and bottom halves of my large.

No complaints and no reason to adjust the band.

Ted
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    Dryer? Gosh, sounds likes there are instructions to be followed! Actually, I did follow the instructions that came with the gasket from Green Egg. It's the "High Heat Replacement Gasket Kit". It's a non woven (felt like, but white, and thicker than the usual gasket). It just seems like overkill to put two layers on. Unless I hear dire warnings, I think I'll call it good and if it smashes down to the point of leaking will then add the second. Thanks.....
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Options
    I just got done installing a nomex gasket myself. I followed the directions from the SmokinGuitarPlayer (video can be found online). Shrunk the gasket in the dryer, then installed on both the base and dome. If you put a gasket on just one, then do the dollar bill test (and pass), then I'd say you're just fine!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I haven't checked lately but as I recall BGE does not mention shrinking step. That does not mean it isn't needed. I don't believe Smoking Guitar Player uses the Nomex brand.

Nomex is the registered brand name DuPont uses. I am not sure if it is exactly the same as the Amarid material.

A google search for Aramid Tape will come up with a lot of options & sources.

GG
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Options
    smokinguitarplayer does use/sell the nomex gasket.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have BGE's Nomex, but have never installed it. It is the same thickness as the OEM felt. Approx 1/8".

I used Rutland instead, bottom only. It's also about 1/8" thick. Works great.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Smoking guitar player is an excellent marketer. Maybe he has changed from the old product he was offeriung to the actual Nomex® (DuPont registered product name). One would need to ask to be sure.

As I understand tings Amarid is the same as Nomex or supposed to be the same thing.

GG