Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deployed Soldier looking to buy a Mini BGE

Options
Peterplant76
Peterplant76 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I am in search of where I can get a mini BIG GREEN EGG online. I know this voids the warranty and is highly discouraged but I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and really want to cook some good food for my Soldiers. To give you a little background I own a large BGE back home and absolutely love cooking on it. The food that comes off of it is just amazing. I want to share that experience with my Soldiers. For the record the food here is not too bad and the military cooks do an excellent job preparing the food but there is something about grilling and talking with Soldiers that brings up morale.

To sum this up where can I buy a mini BGE to help build morale in my unit online?

Thanks for the help,
Peter

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    My son gets by in Bahrain with a little weber smokey joe. It's cheap enough that if he is transferred or called out on short notice it's no big loss. I know it's not a egg but does satisfy a craving.
    Good luck to you and all that serve.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I don't know but if we chipped in a few bucks each we could prolly get this thing done. If it is legit.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Peterplant76, Welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you for what you do for sure.
    Blessings to you all.

Not sure where you get an egg on line hopefully someone will chime in to help you. Tim :)
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    You probably don't need to actually buy it online. Did you call a dealer and ask if they would ship it?

I think a few dealers are members here.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Peter, welcome and thank you for your service. Stay safe.

Steven I'd be willing to pitch in if someone figures logistics...
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    We could also chip in a few $, but maybe some distributed would help with the pricing and be willing to ship with warranty intact B)
  • Peterplant76
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thank all of yall for supporting America Soldiers and this matter.

I was considering a less expensive grill like the Weber but I really like the versatility of the BGE. My intent is not just to cook meat but to cook pizza, pies, ect so that there will be something different each time.

As for buying through a dealer, I have attempted to contact a few via email but have not recieved any feedback. I even emailed BGE Co. and did not get a response back.

I appreciate everyone wanting to pitch in to buy the MBGE but that was not my intent for this thread. I just only request for information on how I can get one to Afghanistan. I have no issues putting up the money for it especially since it will bring up Soldier morale.

Thanks again for supporting us
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Real long shot, but I believe there is a German forum member that is a dealer: Don Marco. Try doing a member search and you should be able to shoot him a email. Maybe he can do you some good and I would have to think the frieght might be less.

Good Luck!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Guys I am at Fort Hood and have people going that way.
    If you like I would check on base Monday on the how to get it over. Will be glad to work with the forum and we could get the money kicked it from members and get the mini from Salado and will hit up the distributer today at Athens for some help.
    Send me a note back email if you would like this.
    Mickey Rawls

mickeyrawls@vvm.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Email sent!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I am in for some spices. Don't forget some charcoal.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Call Atlanta. They are best suited to ship it with it packed best for survival in shipping. I'm sure they'll tell you the warranty is void and your gonna pay a pile of money for shipping. Frankly I'd get a small if I was gonna pay that much money and the shipping for a bit more grid space.

Good luck.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I agree with dhuffjr on the small, it cooks twice as much food as the mini, and doesn't weigh that much more.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Thank-you for your service. My neighbour across the street is deployed to Afghanistan currently. He's highly ranked and it's his 4th time over there. He's out of Bragg. Would be great if a plane flying there out of one of the bases could bring it over.
  • Peterplant76
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Thank yall so much for your support on this project.

Here is recent update of what is going on:

I recieved an email from a member out of LA that works with a BGE dealer. He stated that he could get the mini at cost and would ship it over here. I think that this is the way to go.

For everyone that wanted to donate or pitch in all I ask if you would send things that would make for a great BBQ. I saw that one member said that he would send spices. Things of that nature would be AWESOME and greatly appreciated. Also if you have any special recipes that you think the Soldiers would like (that can fit on a mini) don't hesitate to send them. Due to security I can not post the mailing address on the forum. If you would like to send things please email me @ christopher.pearson4@us.army.mil so that I can give you the address direct.

Once again I thank each and everyone of you in showing your support for the Soldiers. I will continually update this thread and hopefully will have pictures posted shortly.

Take Care
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man,

Sorta wish you would let us help. You would, of course, have to feed some Canucks if you are close.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Peterplant76
    Options
    Steven,

I just greatly appreciate you and everyone else responding. I have got the purchasing of the Mini covered. Like I asked before just to send any food or accessories to make these experiences somewhat like home.

Thanks again Steven
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Peter: How many soldiers in your unit? Might be able to kick a little bit your way. Our heart felt Thanks to you, and everyone serving!!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That sort of stuff used to happy all the time. It would take some doing but well. Things still can just show up with the right connections.

Easiest is just to ship it packed for shipping from BGE. Most likely way to get it there in one piece as well.

I rec'd a replacement dome from atlanta and it was packed very well.

H
  • Peterplant76
    Options
    We have about 80 Soldiers.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Sent you an email. Thanks again for your Service!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Would be a very loyal and PR dream come true gesture....Hopefully someone down there in Atlanta still pays attention to the forum....
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Best to you all and God's speed. Tim ;)
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Just sent an email....would love to send some stuff your way! :)
  • Peterplant76
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Just want to thank everyone that emailed me in regards to wanting to send food and accessories for the BBQ. With your contributions it should make for a great morale BBQing booster for the Soldiers. I will post pictures up on the forum as soon as we recieve the egg and conduct the BBQ.

We are still ironing out the kinks for the purchase and shipment of the egg. Hopefully it will be purchased and received within a month or so.

Once again THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE TROOPS.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Please contact be asap. I have your new mini and thanks to the distributer it is at no cost.
    Mickey Rawls
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Mickey wrote:
    Please contact be asap. I have your new mini and thanks to the distributer it is at not cost.
    Mickey Rawls

Wow. Nice one. That's awesome.
  • Peterplant76
    Options
    Mickey,

That is great news. I will be able to call after my shift tonight. Probably about the same time I did earlier. Is there any particular information that you need from to have before I call?
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    He said they never answered.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    That is awesome Mickey awesome. :)