Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg Table

Options
Maxi64
Maxi64 Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Nice! I love the grain in the wood!
  • Maxi64
    Options
    Thanks, my husband made the table, he used oak and I did the finishing.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Nice!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    What finish did you use and is the table exposed to sun or under a cover?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Nice table!

Is that a large or an XL? If an XL, then I don't think you're supposed to use the feet between the egg and the tile, as it's too wide an area for the ceramic to be unsupported.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Beauty. Great work.
  • Capn Spaulding
    Options
  • Maxi64
    Options
    Thanks, yes, it is an XL, and you're not suppose to use the feet? As for the finish, I stained it first, and then used Helmsman Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane. I put 6 coats on all over, long job, but worth it in the end. I do have a cover for the table and sometime its under the canopy so it's not completely exposed to the weather. Can't wait to finally use the new set up tonight!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Beautiful job
    Enjoy your hard work :)

Shane
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    XL eggs are not shipped with feet, and all questions to BGE corporate regarding the use of feet, resulted in them saying to not use feet with the XL. They haven't given a definitive answer as to why, but those here with some engineering knowledge have speculated it has to do with the tensile strength of the ceramic. For the XL, the span between feet would be too long, and especially when heated, you risk the ceramic failing and developing cracks.

If you search on "XL feet", you can see other posts, regarding this question.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Maxi64
    Options
    ShedFarm wrote:
    XL eggs are not shipped with feet, and all questions to BGE corporate regarding the use of feet, resulted in them saying to not use feet with the XL. They haven't given a definitive answer as to why, but those here with some engineering knowledge have speculated it has to do with the tensile strength of the ceramic. For the XL, the span between feet would be too long, and especially when heated, you risk the ceramic failing and developing cracks.

If you search on "XL feet", you can see other posts, regarding this question.

Thanks for the info, probably explains why there weren't any feet in the box. The dealership didn't know that you're not suppose to use them either.

I see you are in Powhatan VA? Been there many times, use to live in Midlothian VA :)
  • ShedFarm
    Options
    Yep, I live in Powhatan and work in Midlothian. I love this area.

Happy grilling/smoking/baking/sauteing/roasting/loving your egg!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    just got my exlg and now have to build a table with drawers for it...really liked yours..

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    Nice Work! to both of you...
    Marc
  • Rauchbier
    Rauchbier Posts: 24
    Options
    Beautiful! I'm wishing I had something like that.
  • GregorySteven
    Options
    That's very nice. I'm going to build a table as well and just might use this as a reference. Do you have a materials list?