Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best Cut for Pulled Beef

8MWOG8MWOG Posts: 13
edited 11:29AM in EggHead Forum
I am planning on making pulled beef for my son's High School grad party. We are planning on 125 guests. I am wondering on what the best cut of meat I should try. I did a test run this weekend and used a Top Sirlion and it tunred out good. Would a Chuck be a better choice? Also, I am planning on making a total of 50lbs of Raw meat...5 10lb roasts. If my calculations are correct I feel this should give us some leftovers. Anyone with experience agree?
·

Comments

• Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Chuckies
    ·
  • JBUG99999JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    I have only made it using Chuck. Last time I made it for a crowd, I seriously under-estimated how much people would eat. It tasted so good, they just kept eating. Make more than you think to be safe.
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,575
    Different cuts will give slightly different yields, but 60% after cooking is a reasonable estimate. So you would have 30 lbs of cooked meat, plus some sauce. My guess is that you would not have much in the way of leftovers.

I always go with chuck, because it has a fair amount of connective tissue and fat, which are the magic ingredients for BBQ, besides the spices and smoke.
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    Frank from Houma wrote:
    Chuckies
    Seed-Of-Chucky-chucky-21093473-502-353.jpg

I'm thinking he wouldn't make for a very good pulled beef, -or- houseguest!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    i usually try to get the eyeroast from a chuck roll, you could do the whole roll, they come in around mid 20 pounders
    ·
  • EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Would that be Chuck Roast ?

Temp?
    Thanks.
    Gary
    ·
  • dugdbugdugdbug Posts: 244
    Hi,

I just threw a close to 4 lb Top Sirloin on:

DSC03627.jpg

I have it at ~270F dome, grid is a few degrees less at the moment.
    What would be a good target internal temp if I intend to pull?

Thanks,

Doug the Bug in Barrie
    ·
    emok it's been on an hour and 20 now and is 130F internal

DSC03628.jpg

I saw a post that said take it off at 170 and contain with liquid till 205 then let rest for a time so I guess I'm gonna just try that. :)
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,925
    Hopefully someone else will chime in but I know at least with pork, sirloin roasts are mostly used for slicing. If you are going for pulled I would think 190 plus but I'm not sure a sirloin will have enough fat to be a traditional pulled beef.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
    Thanks, I probably should have done some research first and not been so whimsical :blush:

At 140 internal my wife made me hack off half a pound to feed the kids. Flavourful but a little tough. Then at 7:30 I had to feed her the left over Mahi Mahi, Pretty yummy regardless

DSC03629.jpg

So for the last hour and a half we appear to be platued at 158*F nothing to do now but see it through. Plenty of cold beer and a hockey game comin on soon :woohoo:
    ·
    Ok temperature starting to climb again

DSC03630.jpg

For my next trick I'm gonna do something involving cast iron and garden cocktail...
    :lol:
    ·
    so this is it in cast iron and garden cocktail...

DSC03631.jpg

DSC03632.jpg

Also some basil. My wife thought this hobby would take less time than golf.... :lol:
    ·