Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

should I burn off?

ChuggaBrew
ChuggaBrew Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently read some posts about giving the egg a good long hot burn to clean it. Is this necessary or just a preference of some? I've only had mine for a little over a month, although I have cooked alot of food, but I am pretty confident that I don't need to worry about that for a good while, if ever.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Steve: You will get to the point that you need to clean inside. You will know! Trust me, you will get to the point you just know it's time! Just load it up with lump, light it, remove the DFMT and open the vent all the way, and walk away!! Let her rip! Then enjoy the result the next day! :) You'll know when it's time! ;)
  • Hi Steve,

We have four eggs, and use them A LOT, have one burning at least four/five nights a week. The large gets the most use. I hadn't done a burn off for well over a year. The other day I removed my daisy wheel while cooking, and when I opened the egg I discovered my food was covered in black flakes. A closer look at the dome and I was reminded of how long it had been since I'd done a burn off! It looked like ten layers of skin were peeling off of it. This was from an estimated several hundred cooks. I think I'll make it a habit to now do it once a year on all my eggs. Needless to say, I'm off to Restaurant Depot today to get some cheap royal oak for some burn offs!

JM
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Every few months, when I happen to have maybe a third of a load of lump left over at the end of a cook, I just open it wide. That is usually enough to turn the goop build up into soot, which can then be pretty easily rubbed off.
  • SomedayMommy
    SomedayMommy Posts: 199
    Could you sear a couple steaks in the process? ;)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Twice a year maybe at 600 degrees for 4 hours.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    If you are doing a high temp cook when after the food is pulled, put the DMFT all your grills (optional) and close 'er up. Open the lower vent, no top and just walk away. Everything will get clean.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FL XL Egger
    FL XL Egger Posts: 50
    I think it depends on what kind of things you cook. I found that after I started doing pizza it helps keep the egg clean. Also someone recommended that you should put the DTMF on the grate as your egg is cooling down with the rain cap on. This made the DTMF stay much cleaner. I haven't had to do a clean burn for a long time. If you do a high temp clean burn you can melt your gasket and stick your egg closed, it happened to me the first time I did it.