Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elder's Paradise Butts

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy.
Always get kinda geared up when I do an overnite cook.[p]A 6.3 pounder for the kids' teachers tomorrow for lunch, and a 4 pounder for us tomorrow night. Started the 6 pounder about 6 hours ago. Internal around 140 now. Dome temps got a bit higher than I wanted early (270), but have a steady 220 now. I 'spect it to be done sometime whersabout 10am. Serve it up at school with Shake's sauce.[p]Will put on the 4 pounder at 7am or so....'spectin' it to be done for dinner.[p]I used Elder's rub basically, but my Penzeys order is a week overdue and I was out of fresh peppercorns. Threw some pre-ground black pepper in. Figurin' that pre-ground stuff has only a fraction of the taste of fresh pappercorns, I kicked it up with a TBSP of Grains of Paradise. Slathered the guys in mustard first, and coated them good with the rub so you couldn't see much meat.[p]We'll see what happens. Don't git much better'n pulled pork.
Hope everyone is havin a great evenin.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    BTW Elder, I used some nice sage from penzeys that had a real fresh smell to it. The sage really does make a huge difference.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options

Butt, NB, conversely I am in paradise with my mini. Have a big pot of sage growing outside & a dog named Sage at my feet. JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    J Appledog forgot to mention the obvious (to most of you), that she is up to HER butt in mustard....

• Unknown
    Options
    J Appledog,
    stylin and smylin I betcha. Still lookin over the aqua lake??[p]Sage the dog is one thing! We have a plant called Russian Sage out front. Do you know if it is edible like other sages?? Also would like to 'speriment with sage wood for smoke. It has that similar strong smell as the sage I got from penzeys.[p]Enjoy your lake time.
    NB

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Sounds like fun I have been meaning to try something either you or Charwoody talked about one time. That is to combine the rub with about a 1/2 to 1 cup of mustard until completely mixed then applying it. [p]Hope all go well for them lucky teachers.[p]Elder Ward

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    just tell your girls they need to do no homework tonight because tomorrow they will find they automatically gt A's for the year (for BBQ).
    If I ever become a teacher one day I pray that I will be teaching one of your offspring.
    Hee!
    ST

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Elder Ward, musta been NB..the only thing I mixed with my mustard is some jalepeno mustard for some bite..Whoooooo. And does it ever. Nice. But use 1/3 jalepeno ratio to the regular mustard. Great on butts and ribs. You might want to mix sample the bite before applying and add regular to adjust.
    C~W...[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Nope. wuddn't me niether.
    Ooooh. A jalapeno bite would be nice. We'll see what the GOP does for it. Mixing the rub with the mustard sounds interesting. Seems like it kinda mixes anyway when you apply the rub to a mustard slater. The mustard soaks into the rub some.[p]Anywho, it is now 2.5 hours before the teachers thing, and internal on the 6 pounder is only at 168! Shoot. It's already been cooking 15 hours plus around 250. Stubborn brisket yesterday, now we got a stubborn butt.[p]Looks like I might have to do a "first" and finish it up in foil! I'll see where it is at around 10. [p]Stuck on my 4 pounder at 7am. The neighborhood smells great.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    Kind you are! The girls start kindergarten next year. No homework yet!! I hope the teachers like foil-finished butt.[p]If the foil on a brisket is the "Texas Crutch"...I wonder what is it called when you wrap foil on a butt???[p]Yeeeeee Ha!!™
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature BOy, foil won't hurt much the last few hours. Good for a quicker finish. Some even use the oven for that with good results.

• Unknown
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Worked just fine. The crust wasn't crusty, but all the flavor was there. Pulled nicely. Very moist. Sure sped things up!
    seeya
    NB