Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey on the egg

Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When smoking a turkey on the egg...can you still trust the "pop-out" thermometer that comes in the turkey?

I have NEVER cooked a Turkey. I grew up on the farm and never knew turkeys had a built in thermometer! That evolution thing is really working out quite well ;)

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i never trust those things. seems like i have to tap them to make them work.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    stevesails wrote:

What a coincidence! I have to do the very same thing with my wife.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Turkey on the BGE...not that is good eats. :laugh: ;)
    My turkeys must be old fashion....don't have no pop up thingies
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Kailas wrote:
    stevesails wrote:

What a coincidence! I have to do the very same thing with my wife.

Funny.

I never trust those things. I always take them out before I cook my bird. Get you a thermometer, either a remote or a thermapen and check your temps. More accurate and you can decide what temp you want to cook to.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EggerFromIowa
    EggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    I usually pull out the plastic temp thing in the turkey prior to putting on the egg.

Make sure your BGE thermometer isn't touching the turkey when you close the lid.

If you have a very large turkey, Most times I put the turkey in a pan, in the upside down plate setter, with BGE feet in between the platsetter and the pan.

i.e. I don't use the grill or grate. Seems to set the turkey up to high.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

NO NO NO NO!!!

Don't trust the pop up even if cooking in a oven.

Trusting the pop up insures a dry turkey...

Cook any food to the proper temperature, for chicken and turkey that is 165°. Some folks like to cook the breast to 165°, thighs and legs to 180°.

Turkey on the egg is great eats. The turkey is done but that darn pop up says keep cooking.

turkey0812.jpg

GG
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I agree. My first cook was a turkey. They thermometer said yes but I waited for the popup and it got too dry.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You might consider this...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

Gets RAVE reviews around these parts. I've only tried it once when I was out of town with no egg. It was great, even in an oven.

As for the popup, umm, no.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut