Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't demo cook anymore

2»

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I know man, He was a smoke eater. There is a lot of stuff on the prostate cancer with guys that have the newest stuff. Lung cancer I could understand but how the hell does it give a guy prostate?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    There is a lot of stuff out there that turns into who knows what when it burns. we had a huge chemical plant fire back in the 70's,all-nighter plus some, three of the guys that were on that fire, all in their 70's, died of brain cancer twenty years later. The young guys wonder why we chew on them when they dont wear their gear!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    My uncle was a FF. Died of cancer too

I have an expression I reserve for the one or two leaders in my life that made a real impression. I'll say of them "I'd follow him into a fire"

Truth be told, I don't know how those guys can walk toward something everyone else is running from
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Man, I know. My old man was the leader of the hazaardous chem response team before he took a chiif's job. He retired in his fifties and spent his time doing safety training for firefighters.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fire egger
    Ha ha some folks say we're not to bright ;)
  • Little Steven
    Tough road to hoe my friend. Somebody has to do it I guess. Salute to you

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fire egger
    I came up under one of those old-time smoke eaters, even in an airpack, I couldn't keep up with him.
    Sounds like he loved it.
  • Little Steven
    He did too! Wish he had gotten a couple more years though. Miss him every day.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big Easy Egg
    Big Easy Egg Posts: 191
    I am in the commercial food service equipment business and we ran into something similar. We supplied our customer with a commercial hood system that is ventless with fire suppresion built in and the Fire Marshall approved the application, just a thought. The Fire Marshall can be a bear!

Jimmy
    Come visit NOLA
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Personally I don't currently live or work in harm's way.

I know and have known and lost friends and family who have chosen this path. It is a big deal and the sacrifices should never be taken lightly.

I believe there is a list of cancers, including brain cancers, that are now listed as identifed work place hazards for fire fighters (at least in Canada).

On behalf of my little family; we are eternally grateful for all who serve in these positions. Please take all the precautions available to you.

Respectfully,
    Doug the Bug
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I guess in the end you have to determine what has greater value to you. Doing a cooking demo in that parking spot or leaving it vacant for someone to use.

Find a solution.
    context is important :)
  • Iv'e done that dunce cap loin cloth. I only made fifty cents.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Sorry to hear that Steven. My dads brother was a Milwaukee fire fighter for nearly 30 years...all those years and suddenly terminal brain cancer. :(
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    if you havent pissed him off yet maybe go talk to him, talk about modifications to the egg, air intake spark arrestors, maybe modifyng an exhasust spark arrestor for the daisy, inspecting the are where it will be done for potential hazards, certified and inspected fire extinguishers, maybe a fire watch with either a fireman on duty or a fire detail, or maybe an off duty fireman present. i do onsite welding in schools, hospitals etc and go the fire detail route, back in college my fraternity used to slip a few bucks to a retired policeman, no officer wants to take money away from a retired police officers gig. retired policeman in uniform standing in the front door with 2000 college students heavily drinking behind him :laugh: this may be crazy but there is a chance after 16 years that a fireman saw you doing this and saw a few bucks in it, they all have side jobs and ive been turned in to the building nazi before because i sided my own building
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Sounds like one of you strip mall neighbors probably complained and thus he came to see what was going on.

Its kinda like a homeowner association, your neighbors are always fine with what you do when you ask them or they come by...then they run to the phone and call code enforcement to report you.

All my respect and honor goes to those in the fire and police departments! volunteer or professional.

Egg On!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    That's a bummer Dan, I hope you can figure out a way around it.
    The closest dealer to me is in a strip mall in Brooksville and is also a Pinch-a-Penny dealer. He cooks in front of his store all the time :(
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Your city or "authority having jurisdiction" as the codes refer to it, adopt a code for buildings, fire, and life safety. Which ever code they adopt be it IFC, NFPA, or creat their own is up to the city fathers. The fire marshall should be quoting codes from that adoption.

Some things are absolute and some have "exceptions" following the code. You may want to do your homework and see if you can do something that would allow for your particular situation. The fire marshall should be able to help with that. I hope it's not political as stated before where a neighbor rubs elbows with a city official who then puts pressure on the fire chief to sick his dogs on you. Good luck.