Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket- Fat Up or Down?

Options
danshotspot
danshotspot Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've looked at several brisket recipes. It's about 50/50 on fat side up and fat side down. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I really don't think it matters. You could always flip it half way through if concerned.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I've was told fat up always but I'm sure it's about 50/50.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • LoneStarEgg
    LoneStarEgg Posts: 287
    Options
    I always do them fat side down.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Fat side down. It keeps the bottom from getting hard and dried out. I learned this the hard way. :blush:
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    With plate setter, I go fat side UP to protect the meat from the higher heat ABOVE.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    I think it ends up being personal preference.

I go fat side up, but there are plenty of great cooks on this site who go fat down and they have success too.

I have not tried fat down ... I will one day. I just have a hard time with change,,,once i have success with something I tend to stick with it.

Have a great cook!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    When I first started I cooked fat up, but for the last few years I have switched to fat down. Beef fat doesn't break down like pork fat and I think it helps insulate from the heat of the platesetter.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    BOWHUNR wrote:
    ...and I think it helps insulate from the heat of the platesetter.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

And that's the question.
    Is it hotter underneath the meat coming from the plate setter or is the higher temperature above the meat up in the dome? I've always assumed the higher temp is up in the dome as we always talked about how the grid level temp is lower than that of the dome???
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    BOWHUNR is correct.
  • pmnhsn5
    pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
    Options
    I have done many briskets and have done it both ways, it seems the meat dries out a little more with the fat up. With the fat side up the briskets surface was a little hard and tough even after wrapping it in foil the last four hours like I always do. I do put some apple juice in the drip pan also but I usually don't keep up with it the whole time and it just turns into a regular drip pan. Almost all have been moist and tender but some the bark was a little hard and tough and I attribute it partly to BBQing fat side up.