Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping with the XL BGE

TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to take my XL BGE with me camping. I saw some post on here with them, but was wondering how do you transport them. I can hardly move it around the house much less traveling.

I guess I should look for a smaller unit for the RV.

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    You have a couple of options. 1. Buy a smaller egg. I have a large and travel with it a lot, but got tired of constantly lugging it around. I now have a mini for the smaller camping gatherings. 2. Use the XL. At 205 lbs. it is obviously very heavy. I would recommend buying a 2 man pot lifter and taking out all of the innards before you move it. I think after you do option number 2, you will opt for number 1. :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You can move them if you really WANT to, but an XL is aggresive, even to me. I'll be taking my lg and sm this weekend, so not that different in terms of labor. I almost always take the dome off and then empty all the guts and can manage. It should be done with some gloves on because you really need to grab hold of the lower vent hole with one hand and grab the rim of the egg with the other. Don't try and bearhug it, it don't work real well. :pinch: Just take it slow and if you need help then BY ALL MEANS get some. ;)

Bottom line....get a small :P they really hold their own if you're creative enough.
  • I bought a large last fall for the lake and moved it home once and back to the lake the folowing weekend. Ugh!!! :( The Mrs. Bought me a small that I can transport between the two.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Get a small I don't go with out.
    IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hope you're not backpacking!!! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I took my XL on the road to a BBQ comp. last summer. I backed my pickup to the egg table, lifted it off directly onto the back of the truck. Then slide it all the way to the back corner and bungeed it in. I put an oven mitt in the cover so it wouldn't bang together. I also took the guts out. Same procedure when I got there and then again for the way home. A pain but no problems.

Not sure why the website says the XL weighs 205 lbs. It weighs more that that. Here are the numbers given to me by support at BGE last summer:

Base = 125lb
    Lid = 56lb
    Fire Box = 37lb
    Fire Ring = 22lb
    Fire Grate = 15lb

Total = 255 lbs.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    We have an XL and a small. The small for traveling. There's no way I would try to take the XL anywhere. The small travels well and is fun when go get to your destination. We took the small to FL last winter for a month. Was well worth the effort.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I believe those numbers are weight of "each" item with packing. In other words "shipping weight" per piece.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas