Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IR thermometer recs?

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody out there have an infrared thermometer to recommend? I found a (seemingly decent) model on the Thermapen website; it has a 6" range and costs just $50. see it here: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/tw2.html
Opinions and/or alternatives appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    This falls under the "maybe I don't need it, but I want it anyway" category, but I bought this better grade model from them. I really like it and use it in a variety of ways. The free probe also makes it more versatile.
    http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irk.html
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I also have the one Ron has.

Yours has 6 to 1 optics

Mine has 11 to 1 optics
    (it says 11:1 optics but, that's a typo)

What that means is when you are 6 inches away from the object you are checking the temp on it reading a 1 inch circle.

With mine you can be 12 inches away and read a 1 inch circle.

The for both the further away the larger the area it's reading.

We both have adjustable emissivity readings. That means depending on the object you are pointing at and what it's made of you will have to change the emissivity to get an accurate reading.

Mine also comes with a K type probe and you can use it as a back up thermapen. Just saying. :)

If you are going to bake a pizza and you want to get you baking stone to 500F 600F 700F your IR will not read to 500F but, Mine will read to 900F...

Good luck on your decision making. Tim :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Tim - As you well know you're the person who convinced me to get this model and I'm glad I did. I've had it going on a year now and the novelty has not worn off so that means I use it! Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I use it and it works great and it of great quality. You I used it last winter to see where the cold spots are in the house. ;)

Just think if the time comes we have to send the thermapen in we have a back up.
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    Call them and ask about reconditioned units. I got the $49 unit for $35 a couple of months ago. Works great!
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Ooh, good point about the upper end of the sensitivity range. Of course I want to make pizza....
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I will say this to you and you may well know it but, the IR is not necessary. Now speaking out of the other side of my mouth if you have the spare cash and assuming you pick up one that will suit your needs I say go for it like I did and many others that have not spoke up. I have learned while baking pies how long it takes my backing stone to recover from the last pie I baked and in doing so I put my next pie together at the last minute and baked another one just like the first one...but, in time it may not be necessary and I'm not a pizza person anyway so I wing it with the IR.

Well none of this made any sence. :unsure: