Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Pizza

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have found that the recipe I use for dough found on the Naked Whiz's website will generally yield about 4 pizzas, so last night we used up the what I had left over from Friday night.

Set up the egg a little different than on Friday. Made sure to fill it with lump this time. I also set up the place setter with legs down, then the bge feet and then my pizza stone. I also wanted to go at a higher temp. Got it stabilized around 650F for these za's.

I love my egg

P1020626.jpg

There wasn't anything fancy about these pizzas. Just mozzarella cheese, fresh grated parm, pepperoni and some home grown basil. One za did get some chipotle white cheddar as well.

P1020628.jpg

On to the egg

IMAG0149.jpg

"Hey, Dad! That sure does look good! Can I have some?"

P1020623.jpg

Done in about 4 minutes

IMAG0150.jpg

Second on

IMAG0151.jpg

Another four minutes

IMAG0152.jpg

I think I might have started to fry the gasket, especially at the back.

IMAG0153.jpg

I really think that the higher heat worked out well. The pizzas cooked much faster and the crust was incredible. Ah...it was so good. Already got me thinking about my leftovers for lunch.

Not sure if you can notice the different quality of the pics. I started out with the "real" camera, but the batteries died half way through and I had to switch to phone cam. Sorry about that. The "real" camera will be fully charged for the next cook.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• wmd36
    wmd36 Posts: 58
    those look great! I checked out that dough recipe ,but dont have bread machine. Can you mix all those ingredients by hand??
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'm not really sure. Haven't tried it that way since I have a bread machine. maybe somebody more knowledgeable will speak up about that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    I can't answer your question about mixing by hand vs. a bread machine, but I would suggest you just try doing it by hand. If you have a kitchen mixer, mix the dough for about 15 minutes, until it pulls away from the bowl. If doing it by hand, again go for about 15 minutes. If hand mixing gets too tiring, try kneading it by hand for a while. The absolute worst result you can get is you'll have to call Domino's, but my bet is your results may not be perfect but will be very tasty.
    Post results with pictures, please.

Uglydog
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Hey Jason
    Nice job on the pies
    Gotta get me a jacket :)

Shane
  • Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    Not having made pizza on my egg yet, I should probably shut my clam. But I do make it at home and find that Mark Bittman is a great source for easy-to-duplicate recipes. His pizza dough recipe is no exception. If it works well in a conventional oven I suspect it'll work fine in a BGE:

Pizza Dough (courtesy of Mark Bittman)

Makes: Enough for 1 large or 2 or more small pies
    Time: 1 hour or more

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus more as needed
    2 teaspoons instant yeast
    2 teaspoons coarse kosher or sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1. Combine the flour, yeast, and salt in a food processor. Turn the machine on and add 1 cup water and the oil through the feed tube.

2. Process for about 30 seconds, adding more water, a little at a time, until the mixture forms a ball and is slightly sticky to the touch. If it is still dry, add another tablespoon or two of water and process for another 10 seconds. (In the unlikely event that the mixture is too sticky, add flour a tablespoon at a time.)

3. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead by hand for a few seconds to form a smooth, round dough ball. Put the dough in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let rise until the dough doubles in size, 1 to 2 hours. (You can cut this rising time short if you’re in a hurry, or you can let the dough rise more slowly, in the refrigerator, for up to 6 or 8 hours.) Proceed to Step 4 or wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap or a zipper bag and freeze for up to a month. (Defrost in the bag or a covered bowl in the refrigerator or at room temperature; bring to room temperature before shaping.)

4. When the dough is ready, form it into a ball and divide it into 2 or more pieces if you like; roll each piece into a round ball. Put each ball on a lightly floured surface, sprinkle with flour, and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rest until they puff slightly, about 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Chuck L.