Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Jungle Jim's

Options
Baby j
Baby j Posts: 148
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just curious if any goes to Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati or has been. Went there with the Culinary Club from school. Incredible place, just wondering if anyone goes there every week for regular groceries.

Jason Hillenbrand

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I'll be there this Saturday. I try to go two times a year and I drive over 300 miles to get there. My fish, smoked sable is ordered. Their pork is fantastic, from consigned farms where they have "more mature hogs". Fat means flavor. An acre of produce, 1200 kinds of hot sauce, hundreds of honeys and 75 international aisles. It takes me three hours to navigate the place. What's not to like? I LOVE it.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Lordy, lordy, yes, we go there all the time. My new bride introduced me to the place a couple of years ago.
    We spend a lot of our time in Florida, but my wife has a home in Cincy and we go to JJ's often. It is out of this world. We have a small group of Eggers that meet there on occasion and make a day of it, it is that much fun. PattyO, 300 miles away, is one of us. We will be in Cincy all summer, so send us an e-mail if you want to make a safari. :) :laugh:
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    We live in Lexington bu both our families are from Cincinnati so we will venture to Jungle Jims every now and then.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Baby j, I go to Jungle Jim's about every three or four weeks. I am blessed with a wonderful local grocery store in Dayton, but the selection of ethnic vegetables at Jungle Jim's will blow your mind. I think they have every hot sauce known to man. You can find all the regular staples for your weekly groceries there as well.

PattyO, Capt. Frank, and I would love to have you join us for our next safari. Who knows, we might even ride the train, lol.
  • PattyO
    Options
    Capt. Frank,
    When will you be back in Cinci?
  • PattyO
    Options
    Include me in. Just say when.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hi Patty, Mickey is already there, I will leave Florida in early June, visit my kids on the way, and probably be in Cincy by the 10th, maybe a little before. :)
  • PattyO
    Options
    I'll be there this Sat, but ready for another trip at the end of summer.
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Options
    Usually go to Jungle Jim's every Friday at lunch and pick up the goodies for the weekend. I have been getting prok bellies, pork butts, briskets, fresh fish, scallops, mussels, sauces, rubs (NO DIZZY PIG RUBS AS OF YET _ BEEN WORKING ON THAT THOUGH) - you name it they not only have it, but usually have two or three brands to choose from. Great selection of international beers, whiskey and an incredible humidor to boot. Well worth a trip.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    They have Pearl hotdogs?
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Honestly have not perused the hot dog section but will check it out and let you know.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
  • smokeystover
    Options
    I make it a point to visit the jungle about once a month. I live in Clermont county, off to the southeast of Cincinnati, so it's not exactly convenient, but the trip is always worth it.
  • fasteddiem
    fasteddiem Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm very blessed to work and live so close to Jungle JIm's. As a restauranteur and "foodie" it is wonderful to have a place with about anything you would ever need right around the corner. If you haven't gone yet...make a trip and plan to spend a whole day!
  • CaptHowdy
    CaptHowdy Posts: 45
    Options
    I live in NKY and my wife and I try to make it over there every so often. It's a fun place to go. There's a ton of new things to try.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    Smokey - Your Jungle Jim's in the Eastgate area is getting close to opening. Less time driving, more time shopping.