Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs WSM (pork butt)

Brew'nQue
Brew'nQue Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This past weekend I smoked some pork butt. Originally I was going to smoke both of the butts on the BGE, but decided to make it a 'contest' 'tween the egg and the weber smokey mountain:

Here are the raw, trimmed butts...both ~ 7.5 pounds.
DSC_0756.jpg

Rub applied (Renowed Mr. Brown):
DSC_0761.jpg

Big Green Egg:
DSC_0763.jpg

Weber Smokey Mountain:
DSC_0764.jpg

The Battlefield:
DSC_0768.jpg

BGE Finished Butt:
DSC_0772.jpg

WSM Finished Butt:
DSC_0771.jpg

BGE Pulled Pork:
DSC_0776.jpg

Closeup of BGE Pork:
DSC_0775.jpg

WSM Pulled Pork:
DSC_0778.jpg

Overall, I'd have to say that the BGE won this battle. The finished product from both were very similar...both very, very good...but the cooking process was where the BGE won. The weather conditions of the cook were horrible...about 45 degrees out with 30-40mph wind. Started them both at 10:45pm Friday night. Stayed up 'till midnight to make sure the temps were steady, went to bed with both hovering around 250. Woke up at 4:30am...went to check temps. The WSM was at 269, so I closed the bottom vents quite a bit. The BGE was at 190, so I opened the bottom vent a lil on it. Went inside for ~10 mins or so. Went out to check, and both were getting back to where I wanted them, so I went back to bed. Woke up at 7:15. The WSM was at 200, so I opened up the bottom vents. The BGE was chuggin along at exactly 250 (dome temp, so at the grid it was ~220-230). Gave the WSM time to heat up, but it didn't...so I opened the door on it to find that all of the charcoal was burned! I started with a full ring of coal (minion method) with only ~12 coals lit at first. This was the first long cook on my WSM where that much coal didn't last at least 12+ hours. I blame it on the wind. Anyways, started another 3/4 full chimney of coal and added it to the WSM...temp rose and stabilized around 230-240. All the while, the BGE chugged along at 250 on the dot.

Finally, after ~16.5 hours, both butts reached 195-197. Pulled 'em off the smokers and wrapped 'em in foil. After ~2 hours I pulled the pr0k.

Very good pr0k came off of both cookers, but the BGE won by way of ease of cook! I think the next contest will be ribs. Of course, if the BGE ever 'loses' a contest to the WSM in smoking....it'll just want a rematch: Searing Steaks. :P

Comments

• Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Oops...one more pic:

Closeup of WSM Pulled Pork:
    DSC_0783.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Nice job and thanks for the side by side comparison. I dabbled with the WSM for years and just couldn't take the pain any longer. Offset was worse. I must admit that I didn't take the time to learn 'the system' to either of those cookers, just went at it with my own figure'ens and wrestled like a banchy 90% of the time. I can't say that I've ever really wrestled with the egg, but that is mostly (I'm sure) because of this forum. Either way, I'm happy with the egg collection and don't miss any of the old black cookers. B)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Brew'nQue,

Man I don't know where you live but if it is a bit north try a rematch in February B)
    Nice looking pork from both.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Thanks for the comparison. I'd used an electric water smoker for over ten years and was about to replace it with a Weber, a demo at a hardware store Grand Opening convinced me to get a LBGE. So glad that happened!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I did have a WSM for a few years, but was never enthusiastic about it. I had trouble keeeping it fueled for low-n-slow, and weather conditions did affect the process a lot. That was what got me interesed in the BGE, and Duhhhhh, I am sue glad I made that change.
    Now my grandson is tring to master the WSM! :silly:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Bad weather is where the BGE excels IMHO. I was at a BBQ class and a guy with a WSM ran out of fuel mid-cook. It was below freezing and windy, not being insulated really made a difference.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Great comparison, food looks awesome on both. I havent used the WSM in a while, gonna break it out and grease it up with some ribs or wings. I dont use it during cold weather, no issues with it during the warmer months. Great little cooker.