Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hamburger temps

HarleyDougHarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited 4:10AM in EggHead Forum
Done a couple of boston butts ---but never grilled on my large BGE just throwing 3 burgers on to try - planning on using the recipe off the BGE main website - 650 burgers for 2 mins flip 2 more mins flip shut down and "cook" another 3-5 mins then off to rest

Any idea's ??

Comments

• BB1857BB1857 Posts: 131
    That should get you to about 160. A lot depends of course on how thick you make your burgers.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    Doug,

I would stay away from the 650* myself. I usually do burgers at 350* or so on a rasied grid if possible. I can see a lot of greasy smoke at the higher temp.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HaggisHaggis Posts: 63
    650 or higher for two minutes a side is fine but the dwell will produce medium to medium-well burgers unless they are very thick or started out very cold.
  • HarleyDougHarleyDoug Posts: 69
    thanks all - any comments using PAM on the grate - never did when smoking
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,795
    I bet you'd smoke that little tace bell dog at 650 and not worry about getting the temp down :blush:
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,297
    PAM is OK - but don't ever spray it directly into a lit egg unless you want a fire ball in your face!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re-gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time...

• HarleyDougHarleyDoug Posts: 69
    LOL I know that one LOL the wifey is big on PAM so did it
    well you understand:)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 21,297
    I saw a guy do it once after I warned him not to...and yes he had a beer in the other hand!
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re-gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time...

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    Sir,

I really wish you would not talk about my precious little dog in that manner.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    Steven I am sending this right to Norma so she can read it to Levi! See I knew you loved him!!!!
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    No need to now
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Hey Doug, We get 5 pounds of 80/20 hamburger and patty 5 flattened out burgers out of it about the size of your hand and fingers splayed out.

I use a spider and ci grid and get my egg to 400F. I put two burgers in at a time for approx 5 min's per side then rest. Actually I grill 2.5 min then twist the burger for another 2.5 min's. Then I flip and grill the other side the same way all the time keeping the dome closed. No Pam there is enough flair ups as it is.

My opinion excellent, excellent, excellent, burgers. :P
  • eggzloteggzlot Posts: 88
    If you want to use a PAM type product, look at this product by Weber:

http://www.amazon.com/Companies-Weber-Grilln-98360-Accessories/dp/B000WEMHJ6

I have used it on my Egg and on my gas grill, on an open flame, and no flare ups at all.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    eggzlot, Not sure if your speaking to me but, food/meat don't stick to my grid. Not sure if you use the product for other reasons. :)