Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin for Prom

Options
Roudy
Roudy Posts: 431
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
High School Proms have changed greatly from when I was in high school almost four decades ago. The kids often go in packs now. Our Junior daughter identified about six kids she was going to join. We offered to prepare a dinner for them to keep their cost down. There were two vegetarians in the group so we expanded the menu accordingly. Here's a few photos of the event. I prepared a formal menu for the kids:
DSC_0765.jpg
As an appetizer we made mini sweet peppers stuffed with cream cheese, pesto, and sun dried tomatoes. Some were wrapped with bacon, others were vegetarian. Both were outstanding. Thanks to Green Eggs and Jan - we were exposed to these at the recent Sunshine State Eggfest. The photo is unfortunately out of focus. I think my hands were shaking in anticipation of eating one:
DSC_0766.jpg
For the main course we made manicotti stuffed with spinich, ricotta, and mushrooms topped with a homemade tomato sauce. No photo, but delicious. For the other main course we made flat iron steak with a mustard, thyme, balsamic vinegar sauce and topped with maple syrup sweetened pecans and blue cheese. This recipe is in the recipe section of this website. Thanks to Eggtucky for an outstanding dish:
DSC_0779.jpg
One of the veggies was asparagus coated with EVOO and DP Shakin the Trees, roasted, and tossed with balsamic vinegar:
DSC_0768.jpg
For dessert we served fresh fruit, chocolate cake, and key lime tartlets. Here's da crew at the table:
DSC_0767.jpg
They cleaned up pretty good afterwards:
DSC_0772.jpg
Everyone was enthused about the meal, and we had a blast preparing it. :woohoo:

Comments

• uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Options
    Very nice dinner, and a great gesture to help the girls out. I'm not sure who got the best end of that deal: the girls, for such a delicious and well prepared meal, or you for having the chance to spend time with the girls and get to know them all a little better. I like the way you had them all pose for the outdoor photo, with their arms all in the same position and all the girls angled toward the center of the frame. Very nice job.

Uglydog
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I love the idea that you had prom dinner at home. That is a big expense for kids that age. Everything looks great, and I appreciate the last pic of the lovely girls all posing - please know, they will always remember that evening! I know I still do!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    A very classy touch! I'll bet the kids had a great time - they definitely had a fantastic meal! :)
  • Holy Smokes
    Holy Smokes Posts: 30
    Options
    Roudy,
    Thank you for the inspiration! I've already had one and flew away from the nest... but have 3 more to prepare how to fly! The egg will help me!
    Thank you for the reminder!!
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    That's a classy move on your part! Looks like a meal they will be talking about for some time!

Joel
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Well done Roudy. Great meal for the young adults. They will remember.

Did that about 15 years ago - we had a blast preparing the dinner and my bride had a blast decorating and making it special. Hanging out with the kids for a couple hours was a bonus for us.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Congrats on your successful cook and day. I'm sure everyone was very happy and full. You are a good dad. ;)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Very, very nice John...and yes the kids clean up great. ;)
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    For our senior prom many years ago my best friend and I cooked dinner for our dates. Many guys we went to school with made fun of us for cooking and "being too cheap to take them out."

They were probably just mad because not just our dates, but most of the girls there thought it was awesome that we took the time and effort to do it..

Unfortunately it was long before I ever had an egg. If I remember correctly we did some sort of seafood alfredo pasta with a salad.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Very nice dinner. The kids must have had a blast. I'll be trying that steak for sure! The appetizers too. I wonder where I can find those mini sweet peppers.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Do you by any chance have a link for that steak recipe? I couldn't find it in the recipe section using the search feature. I also would love to know exactly how to do the mini peppers.

Thanks!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Great looking Prom dinner and they all look like they are enjoying it. Beautiful pic of the girls.