Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What Do You Use to Season Steaks?

Grillin&ChillinGrillin&Chillin Posts: 31
edited 10:01PM in EggHead Forum
I guess I'm a purist but I think a good quality steak should stand on its own. I'm looking for something to subtly enhance the taste of a great rib eye without overpowering the flavor of the meat.
What do you use?
·

Comments

• ShwiezzeeShwiezzee Posts: 304
    Just S & P here.

J
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
    ·
  • EggerFromIowaEggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    I Serve with Horseradish
    ·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper and a light dusting of garlic powder.
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Salt and pepper for me. -RP
    ·
  • bennybenny Posts: 109
    rub with olive oil both sides
    lemon pepper salt mix, garlic (granulated) on top
    drizzle worchester on top then flip over onto grill
    drizzle worchester on other side.
    ·
  • johnl350johnl350 Posts: 87
    Southern Flavor!!! www.southernflavor.com
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    A good steak... Salt and Pepper only.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
  • HatchHatch Posts: 149
    Dizzy Pig BBQ Cowlick
    Best beef rub on the planet
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    For quality steaks, usually just salt and pepper.

I've done other things just for something different but it seems I always come back to salt and pepper.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Kosher salt, then a high temp sear (TRex). Add DP Raising the Steak on both sides during the rest. Sometimes Cowlick on one side instead, but "The Princess" doesn't like the 'kick' in Cowlick....
    ·
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 517
    For rib eyes, filets, strips and T-bone I use a good dusting of John Henry’s Butter Pecan and then a light sprinkle of Weber Steak seasoning for a little additional pepper and appearance.
    Works great when you Hot-tub them.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
    ·
  • :) Wel I'm an egg newbie, but I maride in a foodsaver marinade canister for a few hours with soy, red wine, and garlic. An hour in the foodsaver is like a couple days in the fridge. I then sear at 650 to 700. 2min, 2min, 2min, then rest. Directly no modified flower pot plese setters for this meal. :evil:
    ·
  • ibandaibanda Posts: 456
    I just put kosher salt before grilling and sometimes pepper afterward. I might try some McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning next time, Dizzy Pig has one now called Raising the Steaks.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,688
    Well, I'v been happy with a splash of Worcesteshire Sauce, a sprinkle of Montreal Steak Seasoning, let it sit for 20-30 minutes and COOK!

:P :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    S&P and Worcestershire Powder
    ·
  • c tredwellc tredwell Posts: 575
    EVOO, cracked pepper, and white truffled salt....go easy on the salt, its powerful! :ohmy:
    truffle.jpg
    ·
  • ManfredManfred Posts: 186
    Dizzy pig rising the steak or shaking the tree. then let set in the frig for 24-36 hour. 500 temp
    ·
  • Cheap steak=Marinate in Dales Seasoning for 10-15 minutes.

Mid grade steak=DP Cowlick (adds a little kick to the meat)

When I have a overtime check with no bills to pay steak=S&P
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Salt ONLY until after it is seared.Then a little touch of fresh cracked black pepper while it is roasting.I NEVER marinate a good cut/grade steak.I will sometimes sprinkle on a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning but not often.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,476
    Hoss, I thought you seasoned everything with habaneros! Or worse!!! :laugh:
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Salt.......then, pepper once it's off the egg.

If I'm cooking Italian, I might add a little drizzle of some fine olive oil once it's off the egg.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Only for the guests! ;) :evil:
    ·
  • Coarse salt, fresh cracked black pepper, sear, roast 'till done to your liking, finish with pat of unsalted butter (the real thing).
    ·
  • Tastefully Simple's "Seasoned Salt". excellent every time.

IMG_2850.jpg
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,476
    nice guy!! hahaha
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Why unsalted butter?
    ·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    People usually use unsalted butter in cooking because you really don't know how much salt is in it. It's a bigger deal when baking but I always use unsalted butter for everything.
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 526
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • toquinatoquina Posts: 94
    I really like to use chilled bacon fat. Anytime I cook bacon I save the fat in the fridge it is a great starter for most things. I rub some bacon fat and then sprinkle Montreal steak spice ad6d196c.jpg
    e6b2246d.jpg

Enjoy!!!
    ·
  • BasscatBasscat Posts: 666
    DP Raising the Steaks. Salty, a little peppery, and the coriander and stuff adds some bright notes that make steaks and burgers, beef and bison, absolutely shine.
    ·