Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What Do You Use to Season Steaks?

Grillin&ChillinGrillin&Chillin Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess I'm a purist but I think a good quality steak should stand on its own. I'm looking for something to subtly enhance the taste of a great rib eye without overpowering the flavor of the meat.
What do you use?
·

Comments

• ShwiezzeeShwiezzee Posts: 304
    Just S & P here.

J
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
    ·
  • EggerFromIowaEggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    I Serve with Horseradish
    ·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Kosher Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper and a light dusting of garlic powder.
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    Salt and pepper for me. -RP
    ·
  • bennybenny Posts: 109
    rub with olive oil both sides
    lemon pepper salt mix, garlic (granulated) on top
    drizzle worchester on top then flip over onto grill
    drizzle worchester on other side.
    ·
  • johnl350johnl350 Posts: 83
    Southern Flavor!!! www.southernflavor.com
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    A good steak... Salt and Pepper only.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
  • HatchHatch Posts: 149
    Dizzy Pig BBQ Cowlick
    Best beef rub on the planet
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,246
    For quality steaks, usually just salt and pepper.

I've done other things just for something different but it seems I always come back to salt and pepper.
    ·
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Kosher salt, then a high temp sear (TRex). Add DP Raising the Steak on both sides during the rest. Sometimes Cowlick on one side instead, but "The Princess" doesn't like the 'kick' in Cowlick....
    ·
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 516
    For rib eyes, filets, strips and T-bone I use a good dusting of John Henry’s Butter Pecan and then a light sprinkle of Weber Steak seasoning for a little additional pepper and appearance.
    Works great when you Hot-tub them.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
    ·
  • :) Wel I'm an egg newbie, but I maride in a foodsaver marinade canister for a few hours with soy, red wine, and garlic. An hour in the foodsaver is like a couple days in the fridge. I then sear at 650 to 700. 2min, 2min, 2min, then rest. Directly no modified flower pot plese setters for this meal. :evil:
    ·
  • ibandaibanda Posts: 439
    I just put kosher salt before grilling and sometimes pepper afterward. I might try some McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning next time, Dizzy Pig has one now called Raising the Steaks.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,445
    Well, I'v been happy with a splash of Worcesteshire Sauce, a sprinkle of Montreal Steak Seasoning, let it sit for 20-30 minutes and COOK!

:P :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • icemncmthicemncmth Posts: 1,157
    S&P and Worcestershire Powder
    ·
  • c tredwellc tredwell Posts: 575
    EVOO, cracked pepper, and white truffled salt....go easy on the salt, its powerful! :ohmy:
    truffle.jpg
    ·
  • ManfredManfred Posts: 186
    Dizzy pig rising the steak or shaking the tree. then let set in the frig for 24-36 hour. 500 temp
    ·
  • Cheap steak=Marinate in Dales Seasoning for 10-15 minutes.

Mid grade steak=DP Cowlick (adds a little kick to the meat)

When I have a overtime check with no bills to pay steak=S&P
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Salt ONLY until after it is seared.Then a little touch of fresh cracked black pepper while it is roasting.I NEVER marinate a good cut/grade steak.I will sometimes sprinkle on a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning but not often.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,895
    Hoss, I thought you seasoned everything with habaneros! Or worse!!! :laugh:
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,391
    Salt.......then, pepper once it's off the egg.

If I'm cooking Italian, I might add a little drizzle of some fine olive oil once it's off the egg.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Only for the guests! ;) :evil:
    ·
  • Coarse salt, fresh cracked black pepper, sear, roast 'till done to your liking, finish with pat of unsalted butter (the real thing).
    ·
  • Tastefully Simple's "Seasoned Salt". excellent every time.

IMG_2850.jpg
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,895
    nice guy!! hahaha
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Why unsalted butter?
    ·
  • FSM-MeatballFSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    People usually use unsalted butter in cooking because you really don't know how much salt is in it. It's a bigger deal when baking but I always use unsalted butter for everything.
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 490
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • toquinatoquina Posts: 94
    I really like to use chilled bacon fat. Anytime I cook bacon I save the fat in the fridge it is a great starter for most things. I rub some bacon fat and then sprinkle Montreal steak spice ad6d196c.jpg
    e6b2246d.jpg

Enjoy!!!
    ·
  • BasscatBasscat Posts: 644
    DP Raising the Steaks. Salty, a little peppery, and the coriander and stuff adds some bright notes that make steaks and burgers, beef and bison, absolutely shine.
    ·