Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Chicken direct/indirect

Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Than is the question. Direct or indirect for Beer Can Chicken?

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    To catch the drippings you're going to need a pan so indirect would be the way to go. Try spatchcocking a chicken next time. Faster cook, direct heat. I like it better. Gave up with beer can.
  • Ok. Since last night was 1st beer can set up. So
    I went indirect at 350 for for 1.5 hr which I thought
    Was slow but It turned out
    great. Not as brown as I
    Thought but but really great taste. My boss does his
    Direct at 300-325 and states he is pullin out
    Drumstick bones in hr to an hour 10 min
    Going indirect next time

But then again what do I know it was my
    first BC chicken
  • Brokersmoker
    Thanks, have done several Spatchcock, just have not done beer can in a while.
  • CNL
    CNL Posts: 96
    I always do mine direct on a raised grid. I love the crispier skin you get that way but you lose drippings if that is important.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Next time try like PhilsGrill said and go direct spatchcocked and high in the dome.
    400 and a little less that an hour...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Medium-Rare
    Medium-Rare Posts: 72
    I cook Beer Can Chicken indirect. Try using a higher temperature (425) for the first 25 minutes to crisp the skin and then dropping it down to 350 for the rest of the cook.
  • birddogpat
    birddogpat Posts: 1
    what is spatchcock
  • Same with dome temp around 400!
    Love the taste but hard to get off the impaled canister :blush:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Any vertical roaster will give you the same results. The beer and whatever is put in the beer really does nothing.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    I do a lot of beer can, but I use a ceramic holder which is better. I like using white wine in the ceramic hold and in the pan, then just before its done I drizzle honey on the top of the bird and it crisps up nice and then the dripping are awesome. I call it Honey Roasted Chicken.

100_0949_1.jpg
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I used to do beer can a lot in the old Weber days (pre-egg). I find I don't need the can of liquid, meat is always moist enough without it, and the rub supplies the flavor. I now use the beer can holder and use it to cook the chicken breast-down.
    :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Pork Butt Mike
    I guess you know best and my method is no good. But what do I know. Typical response. Everyone knows better. This is why a lot of old timers don't come around no more.
  • Brokersmoker
    The Honey idea sounds great. Gonna have to try that :woohoo: (wine sounds better to me in the bird instead of in the glass) :huh:
  • jaydub58
    No, my way is not necessarily best or better than any other way. It's just what works well for me.
    I think that's what this wonderful forum is all about, isn't it? Exchanging ideas and trying to present other ways to do the same thing.
    If I stepped on your toes, I apologize.

:(
  • Pork Butt Mike
    jaydub58 wrote:
    I used to do beer can a lot in the old Weber days (pre-egg). I find I don't need the can of liquid, meat is always moist enough without it, and the rub supplies the flavor. I now use the beer can holder and use it to cook the chicken breast-down.
    :P

Dude the reason why I got so mad was the way you wrote this. You made is sound like the way I do it is useless. Well let me tell you if you ever had it you will change your mind real quick. Hope to meet you some day, even though I don't drink we can have a been and some chicken.
  • jaydub58
    If you ever get to Oregon, let me know........we will have beers, chicken, steak, and ribs!
    Maybe some whiskey on the side.

:P :P :P
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Whiskey? Please don't give the "poot" whiskey. The last time he drank some, he was found face down and half neckid laying in a pile of Richard's baloney..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    It was not pretty...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • jaydub58
    Okay, now for that I should learn how to post pictures!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil: