Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini questions...

Options
Wooly Swampman
Wooly Swampman Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got the mini today and think that it may be a few years old although never used. It did not come with the daisy wheel but I am wondering if this is really necessary since the top hole is so small. Does anyone have any suggestions about that?

Also, the fire ring diameter sure does seem small. There is almost a 1" gap to the side wall of the egg, .5" if it is centered. Would the new fire rings fit or are they too big?

I let it bur for about 1.5 hrs today at 400F just because I did not know where it had been sitting for the last couple of years.

Mini2.JPG

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If it's brand new it comes with a daisy wheel. The mini is an inferno so you will need it.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    BGE added the stainless draft door, increased the size of the cooking grid to 10", added the DFMT, and changed out the hinge mechanism over the past few years.

When they recently switched over to the stainless grid, they goofed, and made them 9.5" again. Rumor has it they will be going back to 10", once the current stock is depleted.

You can do without the DFMT, but I've found it does make it easier to keep the little mini from screaming off into high temperature land.

Keep in mind, if you ever have to get replacement parts for your mini, the size of the fire bowl and ring are now also bigger, so you have to be specific about which version of the mini you have, or else they won't fit.

I would also see about getting a set of BGE feet, so you can get an air gap between the bottom of the egg, and whatever surface you put it on.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    What strikes me strange is you have two scissor hinges - my mini only has one. Anybody know when that was changed?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    That is what I was wondering. I have seen so many different setups I am confused. I would like to see a time-line of photos of the evolution of different eggs.

As for the feet, mine actually has a modified bottom. It is not completely flat. It has three areas that reach the floor and gaps so air can get underneath. If you do not think that is enough, I can cut tile to fit underneath.

Thanks for the help.
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    That is what I was wondering. I have seen so many different setups I am confused. I would like to see a time-line of photos of the evolution of different eggs.

As for the feet, mine actually has a modified bottom. It is not completely flat. It has three areas that reach the floor and gaps so air can get underneath. If you do not think that is enough, I can cut tile to fit underneath.

Thanks for the help.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    The gaps are for the feet placements.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Any egg can be controlled by the bottom vent only, the top vent only or a combination of both (which actually is begin controlled by one or the other).

If you bought the egg new, from a dealer you should have been given the DFMT.

I seldom if ever use the DFMT with my mini. I can hold 200° pretty easily.

GG
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    I did not buy it new, got it on a trade and not actually sure about its real age. It has a ceramic fire grate rather than a CI grate.

What are the major changes from the old minis besides the hinges, handle and grate? Are they actually bigger?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Oh yes, now you mention it you did say it was a trade.

As said above there have been a lot of changes. I think mine is 3 years old now and it has single hinge on dome, DFMT and spark screen. Unlike my medium, the fire box, fire ring and grid fit well. I did get a Mini Woo from Tom - Ceramic Grill Store. The mini woo is a great accessory to have.

GG
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    I contacted the Mothers Ship last week about the size of the grid on the mini. It is no rumor. They told me the 10" would be back but it would be several months.
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    Thanks GG, and thanks for the email reply on the sandwich recipes! I do believe that I will be getting a mini woo so I can raise it up a bit and have a little more flexibility.
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I don't think the mini woo will fit your rig. It will only fit rigs that use a 10" diameter grid. Make sure that you take the measurements. If you have a 9.5" grid then it will not fit. :)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation. :)
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    just use a piece of scrap sheet iron or a piece of steel.... lay it on top of the hole..slide it on top of the vent to adjust the temp... all you need is a little piece...lets' guess? 4x4 inches..... an old tin can?... use some foil in the mean time.... i can think of at least ten ways to limit the air flow with things laying around the house....be creative! improvise.... adapt.... and overcome!....rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    sell it and get a large....
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    I already have a large. This is now my second egg for traveling.