Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Beer Can Chicken direct/indirect

BrokersmokerBrokersmoker Posts: 646
edited 6:58PM in EggHead Forum
Than is the question. Direct or indirect for Beer Can Chicken?

Comments

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    To catch the drippings you're going to need a pan so indirect would be the way to go. Try spatchcocking a chicken next time. Faster cook, direct heat. I like it better. Gave up with beer can.
  • Ok. Since last night was 1st beer can set up. So
    I went indirect at 350 for for 1.5 hr which I thought
    Was slow but It turned out
    great. Not as brown as I
    Thought but but really great taste. My boss does his
    Direct at 300-325 and states he is pullin out
    Drumstick bones in hr to an hour 10 min
    Going indirect next time

But then again what do I know it was my
    first BC chicken
  • BrokersmokerBrokersmoker Posts: 646
    Thanks, have done several Spatchcock, just have not done beer can in a while.
  • CNLCNL Posts: 96
    I always do mine direct on a raised grid. I love the crispier skin you get that way but you lose drippings if that is important.
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,890
    Next time try like PhilsGrill said and go direct spatchcocked and high in the dome.
    400 and a little less that an hour...
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Medium-RareMedium-Rare Posts: 71
    I cook Beer Can Chicken indirect. Try using a higher temperature (425) for the first 25 minutes to crisp the skin and then dropping it down to 350 for the rest of the cook.
  • birddogpatbirddogpat Posts: 1
    what is spatchcock
  • Same with dome temp around 400!
    Love the taste but hard to get off the impaled canister :blush:
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    Any vertical roaster will give you the same results. The beer and whatever is put in the beer really does nothing.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Pork Butt MikePork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    I do a lot of beer can, but I use a ceramic holder which is better. I like using white wine in the ceramic hold and in the pan, then just before its done I drizzle honey on the top of the bird and it crisps up nice and then the dripping are awesome. I call it Honey Roasted Chicken.

100_0949_1.jpg
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,948
    I used to do beer can a lot in the old Weber days (pre-egg). I find I don't need the can of liquid, meat is always moist enough without it, and the rub supplies the flavor. I now use the beer can holder and use it to cook the chicken breast-down.
    :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    I guess you know best and my method is no good. But what do I know. Typical response. Everyone knows better. This is why a lot of old timers don't come around no more.
  • BrokersmokerBrokersmoker Posts: 646
    The Honey idea sounds great. Gonna have to try that :woohoo: (wine sounds better to me in the bird instead of in the glass) :huh:
    No, my way is not necessarily best or better than any other way. It's just what works well for me.
    I think that's what this wonderful forum is all about, isn't it? Exchanging ideas and trying to present other ways to do the same thing.
    If I stepped on your toes, I apologize.

:(
    jaydub58 wrote:
    I used to do beer can a lot in the old Weber days (pre-egg). I find I don't need the can of liquid, meat is always moist enough without it, and the rub supplies the flavor. I now use the beer can holder and use it to cook the chicken breast-down.
    :P

Dude the reason why I got so mad was the way you wrote this. You made is sound like the way I do it is useless. Well let me tell you if you ever had it you will change your mind real quick. Hope to meet you some day, even though I don't drink we can have a been and some chicken.
    If you ever get to Oregon, let me know........we will have beers, chicken, steak, and ribs!
    Maybe some whiskey on the side.

:P :P :P
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Whiskey? Please don't give the "poot" whiskey. The last time he drank some, he was found face down and half neckid laying in a pile of Richard's baloney..... :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    It was not pretty...
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    Okay, now for that I should learn how to post pictures!!
    :evil: :evil: :evil: