Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with 100lb pulled pork cook

Options
ebrooker007
ebrooker007 Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine tricked me into cooking pulled pork for his wedding. I am going to cook 100 pounds. I have used a rub that I made from the green book that came with the big green egg. However for the last year I have been using bad byron's butt rub. I like but cooking this much I should probably think about making my own rub again or consider finding a place that sells bulk rubs. Any rubs that you all are making that would do and save a some money over buying premade rubs? I'm going to make this my wedding present to him and his wife so any savings would be great.

Second I have two large eggs and a Bubba Keg and one adjustable rig. Could I get this on the 2 eggs if I borrow a friends adjustable rig?

I have worked out that I would show up with a cooler full of meat. He would have people to pull the meat and serve. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    You should be able to cook 6 butts on each large with ARs with no problems.As far as rubs,the sky is the limit.There are more homemade rub recipes than there are stars in the Milky Way.Homemade will be much cheaper if you want to make bulk.You can buy the individual bulk seasonings at Sams or Costco and just mix em up yourself.This cat is very well respected in the Q world.Check it out.Remember too,Google is your friend. ;) Good Luck!
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/03/rubs.html
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    For my sons H.S. graduation party I did 68 pounds of pork on my large. One load of lump, went for 23 hours. Two larges will work for you. I make the Loveless Cafe rub in bulk. I like it alot. If you want the recipe let me know. Hope that is helpful.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Please, can you share the recipe for the rub ?

Thank you.

Gary
  • ebrooker007
    ebrooker007 Posts: 156
    Options
    Yes please share the rub recipe. I have been googling and searching this site.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Loveless Dry Rub

1 (12 ounce) box light brown sugar
    1 1/2 Cups granulated garlic
    1 cup black pepper
    1 cup thyme
    2 cups chopped fresh oregano (I use dryed, cut the amount in half)
    2 cups Loveles Seasoned Salt
    1 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup fennel
    1/4 cup paprika

Loveless Seasoned Salt

1 cup kosher salt (use salt judiciously. You can always add more)
    1/3 cup garlic salt (I use granulated garlic)
    3 tablespoons celery salt
    2 tablespoons dry mustard
    1/2 tablespoon rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried thyme

I make the full recipe and freeze it to have on hand.
    Let me know what you think.
    It is worth owning the cookbook also.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Sixty-eight?!?!?! And I thought I was doing well with 48 pounds on my large. :( I hope you have pics of that...I gotta see it.