Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare ribs

NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a rack of spare ribs today on my Egg.

DSC_0253resized-3.jpg

I trimmed them St. Louis style and rubbed them with a dry rub I have been working on.

DSC_0223resized-1.jpg

I smoked them with hickory and cherry. I had three chunks of hickory and 3 chunks of cherry buried in the lump. Once the Egg was settled for a while at 250f, I had a good, steady stream of light smoke.

DSC_0239resized-1.jpg

I took a rib class two weeks ago at Dead End BBQ here in Knoxville (their competitive team just took 3rd overall at the Whistlestop in Huntsville two weeks ago). We had several Eggheads in the class. So at 2 hours in and for the first time in a long time, I foiled the ribs using the technique taught in the class. It's a version of Trigg's Parkay ribs with sugar, butter, and Tiger sauce.

DSC_0248resized.jpg

Then I glazed them with a doctored commercial sauce and finished them. It took about 4 1/2 hours.

DSC_0250resized-3.jpg

My two boys devoured these ribs for lunch. I had two, they ate the rest. The flavor profile was great for sweet bbq ribs.

DSC_0267resized.jpg

Not bad for a mid-day meal ;)
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments