Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Attempt on the Egg

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night seemed like a great night to do some pizza on the egg.

I used the recipe for dough found on the naked whiz website. For sauce, I went to a nearby local pizza place. And toppings were what I had on hand, some pepperoni, some mozzarella cheese, a touch of gruyere and some parmesan (from a wedge of cheese, not the green can). I brushed on some garlic butter around the edges to give them some more flavor as well.

I set up the egg with the placesetter legs up, then the grate and then my Big Green Egg pizza stone sitting on the three little feet that come with the egg. I didn't bother adding any charcoal, but did throw some hickory wood chips for a bit of smokey flavor. Lit it and let it go, stabilized it at 550. Gave the pizza stone plenty of time to heat up as well.

Sorry for the quality of the pics. Used my phone because i couldn't find the memory card for my camera.

IMAG0140.jpg

On the egg

IMAG0141.jpg

And done

IMAG0142.jpg

Turned out pretty good, but I think I let it go to long. The bottom crust was harder than I like it to be. I think next time I will go with a higher temp, but for some reason the egg wanted to stay at 550. I think it was due to not enough charcoal maybe. Next time I will fill it up all the way and see if that doesn't help.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Looks good Jason!! pizza is one of those things you can tweak time, temp and technique forever trying to get it just right, but it sure is fun doing it!!
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Great looking pizza.Have a good weekend in big D.Randy
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I forgot to mention this....as I was getting the egg ready and stabilized, I could hear my neighbors on their outdoor patio/living room getting loud and having a good time. I knew they had people over due to the cars parked on the street. I figured I had plenty of extra dough and ingredients. So I went ahead and made a pizza up for them as well. I figured they could probably use some food in their stomachs along with all the alcohol (they drink a lot when they drink). Took it over and dropped it off and they invited me to come over later.

So I cooked my pizza up (the one you see there) and ate it and then figured I'd head over and see how they were doing since I had nothing else to do with the wife being out of town and I couldn't really go out since I had to work today. Let me tell you they raved about the pizza and asked all kinds of questions. They couldn't believe I made the dough and were shocked that I cooked it on the egg. They were very happy people indeed. Made me feel good. B)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    begining to end: LOOKING GOOD!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The pizza looks great! You are a great neighbor :). I wish I had a neighbor like you. If someone had brought me egged pizza I might have drank less last night and feel better today :laugh:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Nice looking pie!