Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET732 Temperature Question

Rauchbier
Rauchbier Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm using the Maverick ET732 thermometer for the first time in my XL BGE and have noticed that the reported barbeque grid temperature is consistently 30 degrees lower than that reported by the BGE's thermometer in the dome. Is this normal? I'm smoking two pork butts as I type and am wondering if I should be setting the XL BGE temp based on a grid or dome reading; when smoking at 250 a 30 degree difference seems too big to ignore... Any advice?

FYI, I performed the boiling water test on both the BGE thermometer, and both of the Maverick's probes. The BGE thermometer required a slight adjustment to read 212 in boiling water (I'm nominally at 500' elevation) and both of the Maverick probes registered 214.

Thanks!

Jim
Purcellville, VA

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Perfectly normal and expected. The higher in the dome...the higher the temperature. The grate temp and dome temp will get closer as you near the end of the cook. Personally, I always monitor the dome temp only as the grate temp probe is near cold meat and heat wash coming around the sides of the platesetter. I slide my BGE therm out of the dome and slide in my Maverick grill temp probe when overnight cooking.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    On a large peice of meat like the Boston Butt, or brisket, I don't think 30* will make that much difference. Some say the dome is quite a bit different than the grid temp but I have never noticed much difference. I would pay more attention the the internam meat temp.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It's perfectly normal, and the difference will even out over the duration of the cook.

This is why the advice here is to use 250-260 dome temp, so you are actually cooking in the 220-230 range.

Good luck.