Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt help

Options
greendean
greendean Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a pork butt over night and to my surprise, when i got up this morning and checked the temp of the pork, it was already at 210. Cooked much faster than I thought. What is the best way to keep it for a 6 oclock dinner. Wrap it in foil and then reheat it later?

Comments

• Tone
    Tone Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm curious to a response on this as well... I'm in a similar situation (temps)
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    That sounds too long to me to keep. If it were mine and looking for pulled pork, I would pull, refridgerate and re-heat. PP always re-heats nicely for us. Also I always plan on 2 hrs per lb @250 dome, usually done a little early but can keep wrapped in foil, towels and put in cooler for up to 4-5 hrs. Good Luck!
  • Egghead Willie
    Options
    I logged on to ask the same question. Did my 9th pulled pork. 7.45lb and put it on last night at midnight and kept at 230*. And its done. I expetedt it to be done around 1-2pm. So I will be waiting for others to weigh in. I have it in foil and wrapped in a beach towel in an insulated cooler. THis is the first time I had one cook so fast and I did nothing different.
  • greendean
    Options
    I did read some earlier post and decided that 8 hrs was way too long to try and keep it warm. I decided to pull it, and refrigerate. I am going to reheat it at 180 in the oven with some Dr. Pepper poured over top. That was suggested by another egger. I will repost the results after dinner, but am curious if anyone else has tried the dr pepper or coke method
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I would recommend reheating it with some BBQ sauce thinned with water and a fresh sprinkling of rub, unless you are sure of the Dr. Pepper or Coke thing.

Some people swear by it, others don't like it. I'm in the latter camp.
  • greendean
    Options
    I ended up pulling pork and putting in refrig. I reheated it at 180 in the oven for about 2 hours and it was good. I did thin some bbq sauce with water and mixed it in to the pork. However, at such a low heat, you probably dont need to cut the sauce with water, just use straight sauce. Ended up really good.