Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

boneless boston butt cooking times

sholedc
sholedc Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry for the double post but I need some advice on how long it will take to cook a boneless butt. I've always cooked bone in but this was all they had. Its 7.4 lbs. I usually cook at 250 degrees on a large size egg. I've searched the web and got mixed answers on this, but for the most part people seem to think a boneless butt cooks faster. True? How much faster? It has to be ready around 7 am or so I am putting it on tonight. I'm afraid of waking up and seeing that thermometer reading 210 degrees or something outrageous. Any guesses as to how long it will take?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Probably the reason for mixed times is that all butts do not cook the same, bone in OR boneless.

I usually figure 1.5 hrs/lb. and the cook for me usually gets done in about an hour 15 minutes. That leaves time for a rest.

It is usually not likely, but possible, the egg will drop temperature. If you don't have a remote thermometer you may want to wake up a couple of times to check the cook.

GG
  • sholedc
    sholedc Posts: 20
    Thanks for the advice... one more question. With a bone in butt I usually don't turn it. But with the boneless being such a looser piece of meat with some flaps kind of hanging out (it is tied well with twine however) should I turn the meat a few times to ensure an even cook? Thanks in advance.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    mine have gone 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.. an 8 pounder. that is a big difference.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Interesting question. I never turn/rotate the butt, bone in or boneless. I don't mind boneless butts all, however, I do like those little pockets of meat in the bone areas - chief's treats.

• Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    I have gone 18 hours on a boneless at 225 to 250 and never lost heat. It was great. Go with Gramps though. He has done it a bunch more than I. Good luck.