Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Graduation Cake Idea

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A TWINKIE CAKE! For all you crafty people out there.

I made this cake for my nieces graduation party last year, and was asked to do it again for my other niece this year.

I visited the Hostess store, bought all this week from expiration stuff , spent $30, and this is what I came home with:

346.jpg

I opened all the packages and started building it. My dining room smelled like a bakery!

348.jpg

I used angel food cake in the middle and anchored everything to that using toothpicks. I bought canned icing to use for spackle, but didn't end up needing it.

347.jpg

I went to Target for the plastic base and columns which helped make the top layer, it was $6, I think. I saved them and will use them again.

For the very top, I used 2 pictures of my niece and glued that on some paper each side and stuck it into the cake with a bamboo skewer. This was after a 45 minute car ride!

350.jpg

Thanks goodness I kept a list of what I bought so I won't have to figure it out again:

30 Hostess Twinkies
16 Hostess cupcakes
10 Hostess Ho Ho's
36 mini-cakes
2-3 pack Rasberry Zingers w/ coconut
2 round Angel food cakes 8" each

All I can say is the kids loved it last time. I hope this years cake turns out as good. Watch out for toothpicks, though!
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That's way cool. :laugh:
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Faith,that's looks like such a fun creative idea, and besides who hasn't had and loved twinkies and ho-ho's. Great pics.Randy
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Great looking cake. So she graduated already??? Now out into the cruel world... :);)

Tell her we said good luck... :lol:
  • Kim, that was last year for her H.S graduation. I have another one graduating next month, so I am doing another cake.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• I found a closer pic of the cake~ this is before I left the house and had a 45 minute car ride!

349-1.jpg

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Well darlin' I have put on two or three pounds just looking at this post! :laugh:
    Very cool :cheer:
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    What a cool idea!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Talk about your sugar rush :woohoo:
    Looks good....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's pretty cool. :laugh:
    give the people what they want!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Awesome! Can I get a side of insulin with that to go? :cheer:

Great job Faith,

Blair

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I bet they eat the heck out of that! Creative idea!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Faith no doubt, You really know what she likes. Just look at her smile, a picture forever.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    TOO COOL! I LOVE it! :)
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Seeing those pictures reminds me of my birthday cakes, growing up. Somehow, one year, my parents got the idea that I had a serious thing for Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets. Starting with a birthday in my early teens, they began building birthday cakes for me out of nothing but Krimpets. Boxes upon boxes of Krimpets were sacrificed each year.

TO THIS DAY (I'm 43 now), they still find and buy at least two boxes of Krimpets for my birthday, and give them to me with the biggest grins on their faces. A couple of years ago, they even included a Krimpet Christmas ornament they'd found somewhere.

They will never find out that while I think they're okay, I've never LOVED them. I've never had the heart to tell them this fact, because they have such a ball each year, tracking them down and handing them over to me.

Looking at your creation, if that was the "cake" I'd been presented with each year, I'd still be asking for it!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • No kiddin, Frank.. that thing is pure sugar!

• Gator Bait, this is PURE sugar here. No expiration date needed, but they put one anyway.

• Shedfarm, that is a crazy story. I never even heard of Butterscotch Krimpets. I agree with you, after all this time, I wouldn't have the heart to tell the parents the truth either. I guess it's too late to explore why they think you love those Krimpets.

Non of the kids ever mentioned liking twinkies, it was me that thought they might like a cake made of them.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Sweet! I like :woohoo:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Great job Faith! Very innovative!