Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
edited 11:09PM in EggHead Forum
Man whad'a ride! :woohoo: (sorry about the poor pics)

A buddy and I put in an hour or so yesterday in search of the Great Morel mushroom. Find the right couple of dead elms and you won't believe how many of these things you'll find beneath. :ohmy:

So I cooked the tri-tip that should have gotten the heat last night and got to try the Cognac Sauce that many have tried and raved about. The recipe calls for Leeks but these particular fungus work well as an alternative. ;)

The sauce recipe

the raws

Meat in the spider if you've never seen that. (dome temp 400º) :whistle: it was pulled soon after the photo and the rig was set back to raised grid and the meat/spuds went back on to finish.

Plated :)

This sauce is soo worth the work and will happen again SOON! like saturday with a Porterhouse :woohoo:

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673

Nice score on the shrooms!
    Ain't a 1/2 bad sauce, eh?
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    Com'on Hoss . . . quit being so nice! :laugh:
  • Dimple's MomDimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Oh, so jealous that you can go foraging. I don't think we have elms here.

Can you part with the recipe for the sauce?
  • Frank from HoumaFrank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Nice Adam - Have seen the sauce before but couldn't find it. Bookmarked - thanks for the link
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    You da man Adam. ;) :P
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    I think a walk in our woods is in order :)
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    Morels are a true treat... the plate looked awesome!
    Large and Small BGE *
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,674
    looks great, im just finding the false poisonous ones this year :(
  • BigBadgerBigBadger Posts: 461
    Hideous little things aren't they! But the taste... ooohhh yummm. We have no elms here so when we go for morels we look for old burnt areas that are coming back to life. They seem to do well in the charcoal..... ;)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,394
    nice mess of mushrooms there, Adam! I slobbered on my keyboard!
    Dunlap, IL
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Adam that sauce looks sooooo good TKS for sharing
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    That looks awesome! Did you by chance take a pic of the picking grounds before you got all of the mushrooms?
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511

I was in such a frenzy I didn't even think of it til it was too late.

Firing up the small now to fry up a batch.
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909 are killing me!
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    A few years back I was walking up a creek looking on the bank for morels when I walked up on 84 in one place. :woohoo:

No camera. :(

I will never forget that day. They were everywhere I looked! I went prepared because I had some plastic grocery bags...when I went back the following year the property had sold and the new owner had a campground over the spot I found so many morels the year before. :(
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Adam, I am soooooooo jealous!

I'm going horseback riding this Sunday and hope to find some morels in the woods.