Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbie xl setup help

musicman
musicman Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have had my xl egg now a week and this weekend i would like to try a pizza and cookies and would appreciate some advice from some veterans.
how would i set the grill up with a plate setter?

pizza: plate setter legs down and baking stone directly on plate setter or do i need to put something under the stone for air to circulate i have see it both ways online

cookies:plate setter legs down and baking stone directly on plate setter or do i need to put something under the stone for air to circulate and do i put the cookies directly on stone or cover stone with foil or partchment paper.

thanks for your advise in advance

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    great questions, i have the same ones. wife said i can cook a pizza soon.
    I have had the egg a year, I have finally found out what clear smoke means.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    You want something between the place setter and the pizza stone. Those 3 little green feet that came with your egg work great for that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    I do most of my baking, including pizza, with the PS legs up, grid then stone, for pizza's I use a raised grid to get the stone even higher in the dome, help to get the top brown. with the legs down setup, you will need something between the PS and the stone. ceramic feet, foil balls, etc.
    I usually use parchment paper, just a little easier for me
  • I use an air gap made by 3/4 inch copper elbows from plumbing supply ( 3 or 4 ). True for either types of baking. Parchment paper is your friend! :)
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• N.E. Egger
    N.E. Egger Posts: 39
    I've had my xl for about 3 weeks now. I do it the same as fire egger. Legs up with the pizza stone on the grate. I don't have a raised grid but have gotten good results without one. You might have to turn the pizza part way through the cook for even browning on the crust.
    Glenn
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    I've done two pizza cooks on my egg so far. Both times I did the plate setter legs down with the stone directly on top of it. Cranked the temp up to 650+ and let it sit for ~20-30 minutes, then cooked. Only takes ~5 minutes or so for neo-neapolitan style dough. Comes out extremely good.

Next time I think I'll try the legs up, grid, raised grate, then stone to get it higher in the dome. I fried my gasket on my first pizza bake. (nomex gasket should arrive today...not that you can't cook without a gasket)

Seems like there are a lot of different ways of doing pizza...and I'm betting that just about every single one is better than pizza in a regular kitchen oven.
  • MeatEater
    MeatEater Posts: 22
    I have a ci grid on my xl. I set the plate setter legs down on the ci grid, this gets the plate setter to felt line level, then on top of this I put fire bricks on edge, then pizza stone. The fire bricks raise the pizza stone about three or four inches above the plate setter. This gets the stone way up in the dome. I have had great results this way. I have tried the pizza stone just barely lifted off of the plate setter, and I didn't get the results I wanted. I do about three or four pizzas at least once a week, at the request of my three year old daughter! She is as eggdicted as I am!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    That's eggzactly right Brew'nQue, :laugh: :) It all works!!
  • FL XL Egger
    FL XL Egger Posts: 50
    PS with legs down, pizza stone on top of PS. I use 3 large stainless steel nuts for spacers. Preheat 550* about 1/2 hr. my 1st pizza came out burned. I had to calibrate my thermometer to get my pizza just the way I like it.
    Good luck