Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp vs. Propane - Weed Burner

kip stabone
kip stabone Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using a Mapp torch to start my egg recently and it has been working well but after a recent thread declaring the benefits of a weed burner, I thought I would give it a try. My question is that when I initially purchased the egg I thought I read on here not to use propane gas but Mapp gas instead. Is this accurate or am I off base? Do most people hook their weed burners up to propane tanks? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I use a hand held propane tank with a welder wand attatched. Love it.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Propane is fine. If you happen to have a handheld torch head that will burn propane inverted that works about as well as using MAPP. According to Bernzomatic MAPP burns about 30% hotter than propane.

Using a propane bottle with a weed burner is a turbo lighter. Your egg will be up to temperature in about 1 minute. Be careful and don't get that flame thrower close to the gaskets and that is a very quick way to remove gaskets and adhesive.

GG
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I just use the Mapp for the Mini now :laugh:
    photo-9-3.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Our weed burner is hooked up to our 20lb propane tank that we use to use for our (now donated to a buddy) gasser. Works amazingly well, and the egg is lit in no time! (wear eye protection please) We have also used Mapp, but with the Mapp, we used the BBQ guru golf club, which was also great!
    http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Guru-Golf-Club-5-In-1-BBQ-Tool-%2d-Flame-Spreader.html
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think people use Mapp when using a "normal" torch like a plumbers torch. A weed burner throws a much bigger flame, so I think the MAPP might be overkill.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• kip stabone
    kip stabone Posts: 51
    Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.
  • Gullzway
    Gullzway Posts: 35
    I used a propane torch the first month of Egg ownership. I then found the Rubbing alcohol method and use it exclusively! You might check it out if you haven't already, clean, no sparks, and quick.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Ive been using a propane torch to light the egg, it works just fine.I just tried the weed burner a couple of weeks ago and it is awesome. The eggs up and going in 10 min, wear an old shirt though.
  • I use a weed burner hooked to a standard 20lb propane cylinder. Takes about 30sec to get the Egg lit, a couple of minutes later it's ready to cook.

The old shirt comment is right, though. I can't tell you how many of my shirts have tiny burn holes through them because of sparks.