Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I got my large BGE now here's my dilemma

Options
AspiringEgger
AspiringEgger Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to build a table with my uncle 11 days from now (hope I can get it done in 2 days). Should I set up my Egg on my deck until I get the table? Here's what is making me hesitate.

1- It would be sitting on a slate stone on my deck and I'm afraid it might tip over.
2- There's rain in the forecast for the next 6 days or so, I don't yet have a cover (I'll get one that fits the table) and I'm not sure I would even get to use it much in the rain.
3- My uncle would like for me to bring the egg over at his place while we build the table to make sure everything fits. Would be easier to travel with it still in the box.
4- Not sure how much trouble it would be to take the Egg apart, travel with it, bring it home and reassemble in the table.
5- On the other hand... is 2 days (9-5) going to be enough time to build a table (Naked Whiz plan)? If not, I won't be able to go back and finish it until the following weekend.

Should I just be patient or should I just start egging.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just do it!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    1) The egg won't tip over unless you tip it over
    2)The rain will not hurt the egg(I promise)
    3)Why bring the egg over there if you are following the plans correctly?
    4)See #3
    5)I would think that anyone with a little woodworking experience could build the table in a few hours

Now,enough excuses,start eggin :)
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    If you follow the plans exactly, you won't need the Egg there. It's a PITA to move around, whether it's in the box or not.

I'd set it up and use it. Rain won't hurt it. Put the feet under it and it should be stable. If you are still concerned, try to rig up something to firm it up even more, like stakes or something to prevent it from tipping.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    Rain won't hurt the egg but I like to put a cover on mine with my cedar table. Get a cheap 10 dollar one from a big box store for peace of mind if you want.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I would just start cooking! It's not going to fall over and rain won't hurt it.
  • TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    +1 to that.

The thing is 1+ inch thick ceramic. I've cooked on mine in a light rain, without any issues at all.

If you build the table per the plans, and make adjustments where necessary (dimensional lumber vs. big box store lumber, etc.) - you won't need the egg. Has your Uncle seen the plans? I bet if he looks at them, he'll feel better about not having the 200lb big green monster sitting there.

You and your uncle should be able to knock out the basic table from the plans in two days, no problem.

Good luck. Post photos in the table forum.

Ted
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    start now, and everything else will work out in the end
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    What everyone else said!

1) Use the little green feet, and make sure you have a nice thick paver (for both the deck and the table). The bottom of the egg gets hot!

2) Use the rain cap (the little green cap). Many of us never use any kind of cover for the egg.

3 and 4) Agree- just follow some plans. It will be must easier to move the table than the egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I set my brand new egg centered between two cinder blocks until I had the table built. That way it was at a relatively normal height and was nice and sturdy. It's hard to see, but here's how it looked the few days before the table was ready,
    26034_415616295249_684600249_566578.jpg

Your egg won't melt...get eggin'!
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    I thought you were going to ask which egg you should get next :laugh: :laugh: Just get a cookin :)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Get to eggin!!,
  • fire egger
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Thats the real question!!
  • AspiringEgger
    Options
    I can't say that's not what I wanted to hear :)
    I'll set it up tonight. Thanks for "twisting my arm".
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    You should build your egg and start egging...

New parents are often concerned and anxious about their babies. This is natural.

If it really bothers you, place your dome on some cardboard and trace the dome. Take the template to your uncles. If the hole in the table he builds is slightly bigger than you're template - you're pretty much good to go.

If he goober slaps you and says get that template out of here, he's probably got everything under control and you should make sure that he's got enough beer and egged food to complete the task.

Have fun.

Michael
  • Brew'nQue
    Brew'nQue Posts: 44
    Options
    "Sparky" wrote:
    5)I would think that anyone with a little woodworking experience could build the table in a few hours
    It took me about 22 hours total to build my NakedWhiz inspired table. :blush:

(Tues-Saturday morning...after work evenings and early saturday morning build)

I feel that I should qualify that by saying that this was the first woodworking project I've done in about 15 years....and it turned out great! :)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    "It took me about 22 hours total to build my NakedWhiz inspired table. :blush:

(Tues-Saturday morning...after work evenings and early saturday morning build)

I feel that I should qualify that by saying that this was the first woodworking project I've done in about 15 years....and it turned out great! :)[/quote]"

I didn't mean to make it sound like I'm an expert woodworker.It's just a hobby of mine,but with the help of a couple friends and a few beers,we built this table in just a few hours :)

024-5.jpg

027-3.jpg
  • fire egger
    Options
    :woohoo: :side: "goober slaps" :woohoo: :woohoo: havent heard that one, funny!! :woohoo:
  • Paul58
    Paul58 Posts: 79
    Options
    It took me a few hours to complete, and I'm no master carpenter by any means! It can easily be done in a day. Now if you're going to have it outside and want to put a weather protectant on it (as I did) it will take a couple more hours (overnight in my case) to dry before you want to use it, especially if the protectant is flammable! :blush:
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    I built my table in 5 hours start to finish. It's not terribly difficult and if you follow the plans you will be good to go. I actually made mine a touch longer than the small 41" and pushed it out to 48" just to get more room and that size fit better in the area I had for it. One thing to keep in mind is if you are using pressure treated lumber(you should) DO NOT stain or weatherproof it right away. Pressure treated lumber has to dry out before you treat it. Depends on who you talk to but you should wait at least a few weeks and that's hoping it doesn't rain on it everyday. If not you run the risk of the table falling apart because it will literally rot from the inside out. Not good to find your Egg laying in a pile of lumber a year from now because of rotten wood that looked fine.
  • Lyneven
    Lyneven Posts: 4
    Options
    I brought our new large egg home yesterday to a situation very much like yours.

My dear husband is building a table for me out of iron wood he salvaged from pallets. It's beautiful, and it weighs a ton, and it might be finished tonight but I don't think so.

We WILL have ribs and rabbit (though probably not rabbit ribs) tomorrow night for dinner. We set the egg on two cinder blocks to get it up off the ground a bit and it feels sturdy. I think the only way it would fall over is if it were pushed - the lid is nicely balanced when open. My husband knew I was intent on firing this thing up so he was very kind when he suggested that waiting might be the thing to do... but we picked it up together - no problem (140 lbs, I read somewhere).

I think your uncle just wants this egg over at his house :laugh: