Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Turbo Grate???

BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,381
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped at my dealer last night to price out another large and there was a guy in there telling me about the Turbo Grate and how it improves air flow and performance. I looked it up on the BBQ Guru website and it looks like a $50.00 wind chime to me. I just don't buy it. So is thing thing for real, or just another gimmick??

Mike
Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 14,103
    I think they DO NOT WORK and gave mine to Kent (Grandpas Grub).
    You will get both sides of it as some like them.
    I would advise to save the money.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini.... 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,927
    when they first came out every one was posting about getting one, since then you see one post a year, so.....
  • EggerFromIowaEggerFromIowa Posts: 181
    Definitely not worth $50. I got mine free when I bought my used egg. Worth every penny. :laugh:
  • davehempdavehemp Posts: 109
    It's usually split pretty even when this comes up...I have one and use it - I think it IS overpriced, but I will say I feel it helps airflow...I also feel you can accomplish this through other means(different sorts of things used for grates whose original purpose was something else)that work just as well for a fraction of the cost...there are plenty of examples in posts here about grates.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks to Mickey, I have been using a TG in my large for about a year now.

You will get a lot of different points of view on the TG. Some eggr's love their TG's.

I don't see any way to quantify the following but here are some thoughts.

It feels like I use more lump, however, due to the size and shape of the TG I wonder if less lump fits in the fire box due to the TG.

I believe it does improve air flow as there are more air gaps in the lump bed. Those air gaps allow a quicker light and a faster time to high temperatures.

Larger pieces of lump fall down into bottom of the fire box.

Cleaning the ash our of the lump is much easier as it takes a 'shake' of the TG. When I had the fire grate in the egg I had to do a lot more stirring and glove up to get that ash down through the fire grate. I either removed the remaining lump to put some large pieces to cover the original fire grate then re-load that old lump over those larger pieces and finally add more new lump as needed. With the TG I shake and pour in more lump and light.

Since getting the TG I have not had to use a wiggle rod and I very seldom if ever get a temperature stall when lighting.

Is it worth the bucks... I am somewhat neutral. What I will do is remove the TG from the large and go back to the original fire grate. After a few cooks I should have a better idea.

However, I would get other accessories before buying the TG.

GG
  • NCSU-QNCSU-Q Posts: 104
    I have been using a TG for about 2.5 years now & I agree with pretty much everything that GG had to say.

Never have to use a wiggle rod, don't have to meticulously load charcoal (just dump straight in from the bag and go), etc.

In the grand scheme of the cost of the egg and egg-cessories... what's another $50, right?

No thoughts on improved performance, etc.... just easier startup, cleanup, and reloading.
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 956
    Air flow is better and it is easier to knock the ash out with a turbo grate. As for burning more charcoal? I'm sure many will debate this but I can't see how you can burn more charcoal and maintain the same temperature as opposed to not using the turbo grate. Charcoal burning faster has to throw more BTU's then slower burning charcoal.

Also after reading GG's post I agree with everything he wrote.
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    I am curious about how you actually get the ash out the bottom of the Egg when using a TG.

With a standard grate, you just stick in the ash tool and scoop it out, but the TG sits down on the bottom, so you cannot reach in. If you take out the TG the unburned lump falls to the bottom and has to be "managed".

What am I missing here?
  • davehempdavehemp Posts: 109
    It doesn't go all the way to the bottom. the 2 l-shaped pieces on the bottom hold it raised up in the hole at the bottom of the fire box.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Same as without the TG.

GG
  • aemaem Posts: 110
    I have a Turbo Grate and love it. I was having problems with airflow, starting fires, keeping fires going, regulating temp, etc., etc.. So much so I was starting to regret trading my Weber WSM for an Egg :ohmy:
    Bought the TG and all that changed. Is it pricy? Sure, but so is the Egg. Do I use a little more lump? Perhaps, but the key is I USE lump. I'm not hesitant to fire up the Egg and use it.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,167
    Bob,

I had one and really liked it. It fell apart after a few years. When you lift it out it takes a lot of ash with it. I didn't get as much ash in the bottom as without it. What was left, I just vacuumed out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON