Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel Tru vs. Thermapen

Kailas
Kailas Posts: 146
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm newer to this site being a rather new owner of a LBGE. My wife bought me one for my birthday this past March. I tend to be on the geeky side and tend to aquire the latest greatest peripheral devices.

My current object of research is an instant read thermometer. I have one that I purchased at the local Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think it is accurate enough, but a bit too slow for me. I do not enjoy either putting on a welders mitt or slowly roasting my hand while waiting for the max temp to display.

So, I have seen all these posts for a Thermapen. I was about to pull the trigger and get one when I stumbled across this:

http://www.teltru.com/p-512-food-inspectors-infrared-thermometercontact-probehaccp-alarm-needle-tipped-k-type-probe-qt303f.aspx

This Tel Tru device not only does the instant read, but seems to have the infra read as well. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks and keep on grilling!

BTW, I love my BGE.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    I've never seen or hear of that particular one before and it sure looks cool.

Go nuts! then report back ;)

Something tells me I'd rather have one of each than both in one, cause I'd probably lose or bread that one. Thermapens rock and have ZERO buttons, which is nice.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thermapen's work fine and are less money.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If your goal is speed I would check with Tel Tru with a phone call.
    The specs don't give you a clue.
    We all know the Thermapen is fast.
    Both companys build quality products but I know from past experience that Thermoworks kicks butt in customer service.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kailas
    It looks like Taylor has an OEM version of the Tru Temp that can be purchased as low as $69.

So far, I'm still leaning towards the Thermapen due to more reviews about it. But I am curious as the Tru Temp / Taylor is a professional grade device as well.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i dont see where it says instant read on the probe or if the speed is specked out.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kailas
    fishlessman wrote:
    i dont see where it says instant read on the probe or if the speed is specked out.

It seems that this unit is OEM'd by many "manufacturers". I've seen it spec'd at 1 second response time, whatever that means. That could mean time until the first sampling? Total time to get to temp? Who knows.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Is it instant read or instant result.

Instant read is marketing speak for "it begins to display a temperature immediately" - but that temp it displays is generally far from the actual terminal temperature and the reading will continue to rise (or fall) for several seconds until it reaches the result.

The thermapen will give you results in 2-3 seconds, generally faster than that.

I can't tell from the site, but does the tel-tru device utilize a thermocouple or a thermistor in the probe? Compare the two on the thermapen site (Click Here) and you'll understand why that is an important distinction.

The probe tip looks to be larger - indicating a thermistor, but I may be mistaken.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I bet you are spot on.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kailas
    Fidel wrote:
    Is it instant read or instant result.

Instant read is marketing speak for "it begins to display a temperature immediately" - but that temp it displays is generally far from the actual terminal temperature and the reading will continue to rise (or fall) for several seconds until it reaches the result.

The thermapen will give you results in 2-3 seconds, generally faster than that.

I can't tell from the site, but does the tel-tru device utilize a thermocouple or a thermistor in the probe? Compare the two on the thermapen site (Click Here) and you'll understand why that is an important distinction.

The probe tip looks to be larger - indicating a thermistor, but I may be mistaken.

It appears that it is indeed a thermocouple probe.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My 2¢ is to get the Thermapen. IMO, I would rather have the fastest response possible. You could always pick up a separate IR thermometer if you want another gadget :).

Thermoworks makes a combo as well for $69, but they state that it is not as fast as the Thermapen.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/combo_thermometer.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have the new thermapen by ThermoWorks and would rather not substitute but, I recently purchased an infrared from ThermoWorks that also comes with a K type probe that works just like the thermapen. So, now I have a back up and an infrared thermometer if I want to know how hot my baking stone is for baking multiple pizza. In my opinion this IRK unit can read higher temps...here is the link. Anyway it's something to look into. :)

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irk.html
  • Kailas
    2Fategghead wrote:
    I have the new thermapen by ThermoWorks and would rather not substitute but, I recently purchased an infrared from ThermoWorks that also comes with a K type probe that works just like the thermapen. So, now I have a back up and an infrared thermometer if I want to know how hot my baking stone is for baking multiple pizza. In my opinion this IRK unit can read higher temps...here is the link. Anyway it's something to look into. :)

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irk.html

I see now that my decision isn't going to be as easy as choosing between 2 devices!

I do like the Thermapen 2 in one pen too.

Back to more research.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    the infrared thermometer isnt much use in an egg, maybe if you wanted to measure a pizza stone or skillet surface temp, but it isnt really needed. you could also buy the superquick thermapen and a second infrared thermometer, i think you can get those for about 40 bucks now, i have one, use it at work, but never had any desire or need to use one in my egg :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    If you plan to read hot temps with the infrared you should consider the temps you will be reading. I am in the learning process of baking pizza and I am putting the pies on a heated stone...if you need to be at a certain temp then your infrared needs to be able to read those temps...on the other hand there are pizza makers who don't need or use the infrared devices. It's what ever you want or want to do. ;)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I don't see anything that leads me to believe that would be as fast as a Thermopen. The probe doesn't have a needle tip, so I'd expect its response time to be longer.

Also, do you really need the infrared? If you aren't using one now for something specific, you might not really need one. This model doesn't say, so I'll assume it has a fixed emissivity setting. If you plan on using it to measure the temperature of a stainless pan, for example, you need to be able to set the emissivity in order to get anywhere near an accurate reading for surfaces like that.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Kailas
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    I don't see anything that leads me to believe that would be as fast as a Thermopen. The probe doesn't have a needle tip, so I'd expect its response time to be longer.

Also, do you really need the infrared? If you aren't using one now for something specific, you might not really need one. This model doesn't say, so I'll assume it has a fixed emissivity setting. If you plan on using it to measure the temperature of a stainless pan, for example, you need to be able to set the emissivity in order to get anywhere near an accurate reading for surfaces like that.

The only information I have about the Thermapen is from people in the BBQ community. I will trust that over any published "specs" from the manufacturer. I was hoping to hear from someone that has used the Tel Tru devices. I will not purchase anything I know nothing about.

I just found their device interesting. It's not a price issue, but a performance issue. If 3-10 seconds isn't fast enough, I will just have to invent a "psychic thermometer". One that just knows what the temp is before you ask.
  • When I got my last thermapen it came with a infrared reader as a promotion. I use them independently quite a bit. The IR reader for a couple of things not mentioned above, I use it to measure pan temperature when pre-heating for pan frying and the oil temperature when deep frying.

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

This is one time you really need to follow the forum advice. I don't think anyone would say they wish they hadn't spent the money on a Thermapen.

I was stubborn and didn't buy a Thermapen at first. I ended up spending more money on other POS thermometers than if I would have just bit-the-bullet and got the Thermpapen.

I learned the hard way.

GG
  • Kailas
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

This is one time you really need to follow the forum advice. I don't think anyone would say they wish they hadn't spent the money on a Thermapen.

I was stubborn and didn't buy a Thermapen at first. I ended up spending more money on other POS thermometers than if I would have just bit-the-bullet and got the Thermpapen.

I learned the hard way.

GG

I have already come to that conclusion. I had stumbled upon the Tel Tru device because it seems that they make good dome thermometers. Figured they might make a good instant read one too.

Did you know that Thermapen is made in England? I do usually try to buy American. But then the BGE is made in Mexico, so....
  • Grandpas Grub
    Kailas wrote:
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
     ...Did you know that Thermapen is made in England? I do usually try to buy American. But then the BGE is made in Mexico, so....

Yup... and they won't ship to the USA other than through their distributor, Thermoworks.

GG
  • Kailas
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Yup... and they won't ship to the USA other than through their distributor, Thermoworks.

GG

Does that mean that we can get one in Canada for $45?

;)
  • Kailas
    Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a brand new splash proof Thermapen. $94.99 with shipping. Wife and I have an agreement. Anything less than $100 doesn't need prior approval from spouse. lol.

I got it in black. Was thinking of the green, but it looked too lime colored for my taste.
  • If a person has a stoker or digiQ, is an instant read thermometer really all that necessary? They both have built in temperature monitoring. Plus they don't require opening the lid to get the temperature. So does that make the thermapen just a nice to have?
  • Kailas
    Aledo Green Dreggon wrote:
    If a person has a stoker or digiQ, is an instant read thermometer really all that necessary? They both have built in temperature monitoring. Plus they don't require opening the lid to get the temperature. So does that make the thermapen just a nice to have?

I plan on getting a digiq or stoker in the near future. But I think I may not always use it, especially on short cooks. I also have a gas grill I use and need a good instant read thermometer anyway.
  • fiercetimbo17
    fiercetimbo17 Posts: 141
    I have a digiq thermapen and this fluke
    http://www.amazon.com/Fluke-FoodPro-Safety-Thermometer-Equipment/dp/B0006VHWMC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1305300148&sr=8-7
    It works almost as fast as my thermapen and the ir is nice
  • Grandpas Grub

Haven't bothered to check that out. I would have to think wholesale price is close to 'turnkey'.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Possibly not but you will not be using the q2 or Stoker on all cooks, so what do you do when cooking steaks, burgers, brats etc.

I would first invest in the thermapen. Then get the other toys. I use the thermapen when cooking on the egg, stove top, crock pot, oven and in the dutch oven.

If you cook to temperature your cooking will greatly improve. The thermapen has been one of the biggest improvements to the quality of cooking. In the past I was always concerned about time and wondered why the food really didn't turn out all that great.

Some people cook chicken until the juices run clear and will cook steaks by feeling the firmness of the cut. By feeling the flesh between your thumb and index finger one can get pretty close to med. rare, medium and well done. Touch the index finger to the thump and feel the 'flesh' when the steak has about that same firmness the steak is med. rare. Use the middle finger to thumb, the same firmness of the meat will be close to medium. Use the ring finger to thumb and the same feel of the cut will be well done.

However, it sure is nice to take a quick probe with the thermapen and seeing the exact temperature, no guessing.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Congratulations, you will enjoy the worthwhile investment. Use it in all your cooking.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    fiercetimbo17,

Is the Fluke faster?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Great link!

Steve