Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak lump

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never tried it but it has good reviews and its time to restock on lump. Couldn't find it anywhere in Georgia and ended up finding it at grillstuff.com for $8.59 a bag with free shipping if you spend $99. Bought 12 bags, hope its good stuff. Anyone here use it?

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Yes,I use it. You won't be disappointed. It's great stuff. :)
  • Kailas
    Kailas Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm in West Michigan and can't find anything but Cowboy. I can get BGE from my dealer though.

I was just at Lowes and one of their guys asked me for a couple names of good lump. I told them about Ozark Oak and Royal Oak. He's going to try to get it in.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    I've got about 6 bags in my lump inventory, but haven't tried it yet.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It is ALL I use.THE BEST I ever tried.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    It is great stuff. You'll be very pleased, I think.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Don't hold your breath! Ozark Oak stopped adding new distributors at least 3 years ago - said they don't have the capacity nor wood sources to increase production. I still have several bags from a 500+ mile round trip I made to Missouri to buy some.
    IMG_1193.jpg
    Needless to say I use it sparingly!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes it is good lump, but even at the CLOSE OUT sale price you paid of $8.95 versus their regular $12.95 price per 10# bag THAT was high. I just hope for your sake that the shipping gorillas don't play bean bag toss with your 12 bags as you may end up with bags of chips and dust.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I contacted their plant earlier this year and was told they wouldn't sell to anyone unless they were already a customer, which I wasn't. They stated they didn't have the wood or capacity to take on additional sales. I had planned to make a trip to Bull Shoals Lake and visit their plant and buy 20 bags. About a twelve hour round trip drive for me.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Hoss
    Options
    I buy a pallet at a time at the plant in Yellville.Great price,but you have to have room to store 52 bags.
  • Hoosieregger
    Options
    Charcoal and More in Southern Indiana has Ozark Oak available, as well as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, The Good One and Real Montana Charcoal. They have a web site.
  • RRP
    Options
    Just an idea for you - call the IGA store in Mexico, MO and ask how much OO they have in stock and if need be make a telephone purchase using a credit card - and then drive there and pick it up! That's what I did...twice now!!! BTW you might want to also make room in your vehicle to pick up some Blue's Hog Sauce products from nearby Perry, MO as well as some GREAT Sticky Pig BBQ sauces from Centralia, MO.

Do I have anything to gain from these product endorsements? NOPE!!!
  • field hand
    Options
    Thanks, Mexico, MO isn't that far, will consider contacting them. Since I couldn't get the OO, I've bought Fire King lump from a producer in Belle, Mo. The charcoal plant had been owned by Strumph but was bought by Royal Oak last fall. I bought 20 lb bags from Strumph for $6.25/bag last year. Royal Oak has now raised the price to $9.55 per 20 lb bag, still not too bad. It's now bagged as either Fire King or Royal Oak, same lump in either bag. Belle is about an hour drive for me.

Re the Blue's Hog sauce, we buy it locally at Shop and Save. Haven't tried Sticky Pig as yet. Thanks for the reply.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Dont know where you are, but it's availble at Harps/price cutters stores throughout central and northwest Arkansas, 4.99 bag
  • field hand
    Options
    Hoss, I think 52 bags would be a bit much for me. Although I did mention a pallet buy when I talked them, but didn't get very far since I hadn't ordered from them previously. Could have split the pallet with friends.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • field hand
    Options
    Fire egger, thanks for the input. I'm not familar with Harps but do get into northern Arkansas from time to time. The 4.99/bag is a good price. Will check it out.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    For that price it should come stacked for you, but it is wonderful to cook with. I'm down to one bag. :(
  • Hoss
    Options
    My Dad has a place over there,close to the plant.We started buyin it a few years ago.
  • Hoss
    Options
    BH TN RED YUMMEE! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    Well,brang your arse back to Missippi! :P B) OO & Apple Pie! :laugh:
  • Gullzway
    Gullzway Posts: 35
    Options
    Bought a few bags at Warehouse Market for $4.99. Had some nice big pieces in both bags. I did have it go out on me during a 13 hour Brisket cook, but I had the egg at 225, may need to keep it up at 250. However the Royal Oak maintained 225 for 18 hours on a Butt I cooked. I may go back for some more, at $4.99 it's a great buy!