Am about to try smoking a pork shoulder (pork butt) from Costco.
I need it to finish by 12noon on Saturday for a high school graduation party for my oldest son.
I have a large green egg and no experience with smoking a pork butt.
The butt weighs about 14 - 15 lbs.
I have so many questions:
1. Should I cut the meat in half to reduce cook time?
2. Based on your answer on #1, when should I start cooking ?
3. How do I get enough smoke on a long cook without opening the egg ? I.e. what's the strategy on mixing wood and charcoal ? Big chunks or chips, or both ?
4. To rub, or not rub, that is the question.
- If so, can you recommend a good easy to make rub?
- If not, what kind of wood smoke should I use?
- I have mesquite, hickory, pecan, and apple.
5. Do I open up the egg and baste/mop ?
6. What temp should use for smoking ?
- Do I keep the temp constant, or ramp the temp after the meat reaches a particular value ?
7. What should the meat thermometer read when it is done ?
I've got a lot of relatives coming to celebrate my son's graduation. It's going to be pretty embarrasing if I make a mess of this. I would appreciate any advice or answers to the above questions.