Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Maple Bacon!!

toquinatoquina Posts: 94
edited 1:13PM in EggHead Forum
Alright I think that I have finally perfected my bacon

Ingredients
Brown Sugar
Kosher Salt
Ready Cure
Maple Syrup
1 week of patience
Shared some of the finished bacon today and nothing but positive feed back. I have already purchased more bellies to put in the curing mixture

1277aadb.jpg
d573e191.jpg
2e6ba295.jpg
85cff97f.jpg
eb2499a7.jpg

Enjoy!!!
http://athomecooking.wordpress.com
·

Comments

• atlpatsatlpats Posts: 102
    Looks great, do you have a set of full instructions for the bacon?
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That is a work of art. :)
    ·
  • That looks phenomenal. What do you think would happen if you did the exact same thing to a tenderloin or leaner cut of meat?

Roughly how much does belly cost per pound?
    ·
  • Looks a lot better than what I get at the supermkt
    ·
  • toquinatoquina Posts: 94
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup kosher salt
    2 tbsp black pepper
    1 1/2 tbsp curing salt
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    Mix all dry ingredients and rub on pork bellies
    Wrap in plastic wrap and turn bellies daily and rewrap
    Repeat for 7 days

Enjoy!!!
    ·
    I have found a asain market and can get the bellies for about $2.00 per lb I have seen them as high as $3.00 per lb as well.

I am sure that the leaner met would taste just as good but rember fat equal flavour and the fat may help keep the met moist during the curing process.

Enjoy!!!
    ·
    How did you smoke them, Temp/Time/finished temp. What kind of woods did you use. Thanks for all of the info.
    ·
    Sorry forgot to add that in. Smoked at 190 degrees for 3 hours. I was going to use apple wood but couldn't fond and ended up going with hickory
    ·
    Thanks, that was 190 dome right? How hard was it to maintain that temp?
    ·
    That right dome temp. I did find it hard to keep the temp there. I had it at 325 before I added the meat so that the temp would not drop to low
    ·
    Sounds great, again thanks for the info on this one. With the price of bacon right now, I think this is on my radar.
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,679
    Beautiful bacon and thanks for sharing the recipe. Just want to confirm if the 'curing salt' you used is the Ready Cure from Canada Compound? If so, then our US friends please be aware that if you use Pink Salt or TenderQuick they probably have higher concentration of sodium nitrite and you need to adjust accordingly.
    Gary
    canuckland
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    Shared some of the finished bacon today : how do I get on that list :woohoo:
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Yes I did use ready cure from Canada. I am not sure about pink salt concentration but this combo worked really well. I hope you try it, "Best bacon I have ever had" heard that twice from the samplers
    ·